• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hows This For A New AMD Bulldozer Set-Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I'm planning on a new system heres my AMD idea of a build

CPU: AMD BD FX-6 6200 95w
Board: Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 990X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit
Storage 1: OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5" SATA-3
Storage 2: Seagate 500GB SATA-II HDD
GPU: PowerColor HD 7850 2048MB GDDR5
PSU: Corsair vx550w PSU

The PSU and 500GB HDD and case are from my old AMD 945 build so only paying for the CPU, Board, RAM, GPU & SDD. I'll be connecting it all to a LG 32" HDTV will it all be good for gaming I probably will playing games like Skyrim, Diablo 3 and maybe Battlefield 3 is possible if I am in the mood.

I was going to go INTEL as I did a thread on it but I am considering my options, I still have my AMD 945 which I plan to sell on eBay and my AMD HD5770 1GB GPU too.

Last edited:

The PSU and 500GB HDD and case are from my old AMD 945 build so only paying for the CPU, Board, RAM, GPU & SDD. I'll be connecting it all to a LG 32" HDTV will it all be good for gaming I probably will playing games like Skyrim, Diablo 3 and maybe Battlefield 3 is possible if I am in the mood.

I was going to go INTEL as I did a thread on it but I am considering my options, I still have my AMD 945 which I plan to sell on eBay and my AMD HD5770 1GB GPU too.

Big + for the 7850, massive oc potential, nice card

I would seriously recommend a 120gb SSD, I got a 60gb and filled it up too quckly and that was just windows and a few games so regret not paying the extra

If you can afford it, upgrade the PSU to the HX or TX level. As someone was pointing out recently on the forum they are the Cosair model series made by Seasonic and are higher quality.

for a few extra bucks I would go with the 8120 or the 8150 I have the 8120 and run it all day long at 4.4 with no problems

There is no reason not to go Intel. Bulldozer is a downgrade from your 945 in most current day scenarios, and will be outdated by the time scenarios arrive that it's optimized for. Your best option is a 2400 or 2500.

^+1

Either grab a good aircooler and overclock your PhII to 4GHz (if C3) or go with a 2500k, a $130 MoBo( Asrock Extreme3 Gen3), and a $30 HSF (Hyper 212), take it to 4.5GHz and call it a day.

Might as well close this thread I've decided to get a Intel i7 2600k set-up instead and sell my 945 and HD5770 I'm buying the 7850 for sure too

Piledriver is right about to be released. I'd not buy an AMD rig before its released. It looks like initially Intel will have some heat issues with IB whereas PD looks to have a nice IPC boost, higher clocks and lower power draw than the current BD cores.

We may see AMD become competitive due to Intel's stumble though this will all depend on AMD's pricing.

If you're buying right now, then I'd suggest Intel is the way to go. If its in a month or two, then you'll need to re-evaluate.

Last edited:

Might as well close this thread I've decided to get a Intel i7 2600k set-up instead and sell my 945 and HD5770 I'm buying the 7850 for sure too
Eitherway you go, Drop that PSU and get better one. Corsair makes Great PSUs but VX series are in the middle, slightly better than CX and GS series. I would rather go with Corsair TX, HX or AX. When comes to PSU, i would buy only brands Corasir(TX-HX-AX), XFX or Seasonic itself, they all are made by Seasonic and sre of superior quality. + always 80+.
PSU is only the unit on your System "when it fails very likely will take quite a few other components with it"
And 550W, you would be underpowered for 7850, at least go for 650W. MY recommendation:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=Corsair TX 650
and it comes with 5 years of warranty.

^ 2600K is 110W/[email protected], the 7850 has a 130W TDP (150W with a 15%OC). He could even put two in crossfire with a 550W PSU... OP, your PSU is much enough.

I would probably at least wait a few more weeks and see what Piledriver looks like. AMD are not unknown for having an initial release that is good conceptually, but not quite there and then following it up with everything it should have been in the second iteration.

Caveat: mild AMD fan.

Back