• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating my old gaming PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shoutout33

Registered
What's up people. Per the subject box, I need some help with upgrading my old gaming pc. If I miss some information that you all need, please let me know, as I will be checking these forums a lot. This is what I have in my current gaming PC:

-MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

-AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX

-Wintec AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit (x2)

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

-XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler

-OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply

-COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP

-Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB Video Card

Whew! With that said, this rig is currently used for gaming, photo editing, streaming video, music, and anything else entertainment related. I have it hooked to both my 50" Panasonic TC-P50XT50 plasma TV (by HDMI cable) and my 27" HP 2710m monitor (by DVI cable).

I plan to get another PC or Mac where this can be totally dedicated to the entertainment (more towards the gaming side) while the other computer would handle home business, photo editing, web surfing etc. Basic PC stuff.

I haven't maxed out this motherboard, as it can be beefed up to 16GB of RAM and can handle the Phenom II x6 CPU's. I currently have it overclocked with MSI's onboard OC Genie and used CPU-Z to get the following numbers:

Core Voltage: 1.45-1.47
Core Speed: 3503.17 MHz,
Multiplier: x15.5
126W
(Note: CPU-Z lists the CPU as the Phenom II x4 because OC Genie unlocked all four cores.)

I really want this thing to be able to play the newer games that I have purchased on Steam, such as Splinter Cell: Blacklist; Skyrim; Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution etc., on the highest levels possible.

I was thinking that I could just get a beast of a video card, with everything else being the same and that would help me save money to go towards the second PC. But then I realized that my options might be limited because of my 550W power supply.

If I'm just getting just the video card to reach gaming nirvana, I'm willing to plunk down a good $300 to do this. If you guys recommend adding other goodies, depending on those prices, it'll drop down closer to $200.

I will eventually overhaul everything sometime in the future, but that depends on when AMD brings out their new processors (not the GPU's ), but even with that, I'd really like to get the most out of this bad boy before doing a major upgrade like that.

That's what I have on my end for now. I hope its enough to at least get you all started on what to recommend. If I missed some critical information that you need (and I'm sure I have...), please let me know and I will answer back as soon as I can with the information you are requesting.

Thanks tons in advance for the help and the replies, as it is truly appreciated.

Daris L. Cotton

Budget is $300?

If so, I'd be spending all of that on one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121775, or a similar GTX 760.

For the games you are looking to play (particularly Skyrim), you will need a much better card to play with any appreciable settings.

With any leftover cash or anything beyond $300 you can swing, pick up an SSD. We can give more details if we know the budget.

Thanks for the quick reply mokrunka. I'm not trying to go too overboard on an old system here. I understand that you can't find the x6 CPU's anymore, so the only thing I think I'd be willing to upgrade is the memory and maybe the PSU, but if I can just do the graphics card, that will be fine. How about this, what graphics card or price range would you recommend me looking into, where I wouldn't have to change my PSU? If you can give me that much, I'd have a better chance of letting you know what I can do. I don't mind laying some money down into a video card, but again, I don't want to change out my PSU to do this. Thanks again.

I'd go for the GTX 760 also. The biggest thing for gaming is the GPU, followed by the CPU.

If you can get hold of a used PII X6 or PII X4 go for it.

I'd go for the GTX 760 also. The biggest thing for gaming is the GPU, followed by the CPU.

If you can get hold of a used PII X6 or PII X4 go for it.
Thanks for the reply ATMINSIDE. Will this graphics card not be enough, per what morkrunka said, to run the games I have or will I be OK? Also, will I have enough juice with my current PSU in order to have OC Genie over clock a 4x or X6 and run this card?

PSU is fine, no worries there.

Don't use OC Genie. Auto overclocking is never as good as doing it yourself. What auto OCing usually does is give your CPU way more voltage than necessary to make sure it's stable, sine it has to be a "one size fits all" solution where every CPU is different.

The PSU you have will work fine w/ the 760 and the setup you have. I wouldn't bother spending more on a videocard unless you want to upgrade the RAM, mobo and CPU as well, which it sounds like you don't.

To be honest, you'd be better served spending $700-800 on a new system (mobo, ram, CPU, PSU and videocard), but an upgrade to the 760 will be a marked improvement over what you've got now.

And what knufire said about OCing.

PSU is fine, no worries there.

Don't use OC Genie. Auto overclocking is never as good as doing it yourself. What auto OCing usually does is give your CPU way more voltage than necessary to make sure it's stable, sine it has to be a "one size fits all" solution where every CPU is different.
Thanks Koufire. Thing is, I don't know how to OC manually. I may just switch them of and be through with it if I'm able to get one.

Thanks for the help and Video Card found!

What's up all! I know that I'm really late with this, but thanks for all the help with the video card recommendations. Just to give a update, this is the bad boy I'll be getting to upgrade my PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127748

Yes, I am pushing past my budget a little bit, but I think this'll be worth it. Again, thanks for all the help!:thup:

Nice card, but unless you're running tri-monitor or 1440p, you are fine with a 2GB card.

Nice card, but unless you're running tri-monitor or 1440p, you are fine with a 2GB card.

Hey ATMINSIDE! How am I able to tell if my 50" Panasonic can reach that level of display? Wouldn't 1440p look better on a big screen TV? I want the picture to cover my entire screen without any drop in the FPS or does that matter even if you're only playing in 1080p? If you think it still doesn't matter, I'll go with the 2GB version you originally suggested. Thanks for the reply again as well.

Hey ATMINSIDE! How am I able to tell if my 50" Panasonic can reach that level of display? Wouldn't 1440p look better on a big screen TV? I want the picture to cover my entire screen without any drop in the FPS or does that matter even if you're only playing in 1080p? If you think it still doesn't matter, I'll go with the 2GB version you originally suggested. Thanks for the reply again as well.

That would be 1080p.

If you want to check, look up the specs for the model number. I'm 99.9999% sure that its going to be 1080p or less though.

That would be 1080p.

If you want to check, look up the specs for the model number. I'm 99.9999% sure that its going to be 1080p or less though.

I'll check on that ASAP. I just saw Overclocker's 1440p member's thread as well, and I think I understand where you're coming from a little bit. You actually need the monitor to be able to do that high of a resolution in the first place, in order to take advantage of it. So you might be right about the 1080p resolution on my TV. I'll go ahead and take your original advice and just stick with the 2GB model then. Jeez, I thought I was actually doing something for a minute there. LOL!

If you plan to get a 1440p monitor or run a triple screen setup, 4GB is better.

If you don't think you'll play higher than 1080p for a while, save the cash and go 2GB :thup:

You will be shocked how much better your New card will be than then 4650 it is replacing.

Also your CPU should oc to around 3.8-4ghz (you have a hsf already so you are fine in that respect), and you might be able to unlock the extra core you then you have a quad =) guides for all of this can be found in the amd section

That would be 1080p.

FYI: you're right about the 1080p, so I'll just get that 2GB model. Thanks again for the help.

One more question on the this thread, then I'm done....I hope ;p

Hello again fellas and fellets. I know that you all have recommended Nvidia's Geforce GTX 760 series to upgrade my old PC, but wanted to know what you all thought about AMD's Radeon HD 7950 Boost? Thanks again.

Back