• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you get 50+ CPUS for F @ H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
I'm very impressed on the stats on F @ H website. I can't imaging what your electric bill is like? Also, I can't imagine how you can obtain so many systems to do nothing but folding. JoeCamel is a great example! 34 CPUS? Holy crap!!! Do you guys just buy systems to do just folding? Or do you just have alot of friends who use your username and team number to help you out?

I've got 10 at home (really 7 but 2 HT and one DC), 20 at my office, 11 at affiliated offices, one friend added 14 (or more), another 6. Many other friends with one computer. My son has borged every lattop (with permission) in the 1-61 CAV that he touched, all his friends from college fold for ChasR. And beleive it or not, I stay in touch with almost all of these folks and their computers. I also serve as their IT support guy from time to time.

Age makes a difference in convincing folks to fold. My 50ish friends are worried about many of the diseases FAH is working on. We have friends suffering from cancer, Alzheimers, etc. and we have kids that FAH will certainly benefit. These friends also have resources and can afford the electricity. So, they're relatively easy to convince and they generally don't ever notice FAH is running (no gamers).

Currently I have 107 active cpus in the last 50 days, 93 in the last 7. I turned off all the legacy rigs so the 107 will come down a bit but won't affect the 7 day count.

Joeteck said:
I'm very impressed on the stats on F @ H website. I can't imaging what your electric bill is like? Also, I can't imagine how you can obtain so many systems to do nothing but folding. JoeCamel is a great example! 34 CPUS? Holy crap!!! Do you guys just buy systems to do just folding? Or do you just have alot of friends who use your username and team number to help you out?

Just buy 'em or build 'em for folding. That's all. Nothing else. Costs around 425$ a month for juice. Worth every penny.

ChasR said:
I've got 10 at home (really 7 but 2 HT and one DC), 20 at my office, 11 at affiliated offices, one friend added 14 (or more), another 6. Many other friends with one computer. My son has borged every lattop (with permission) in the 1-61 CAV that he touched, all his friends from college fold for ChasR. And beleive it or not, I stay in touch with almost all of these folks and their computers. I also serve as their IT support guy from time to time.

Age makes a difference in convincing folks to fold. My 50ish friends are worried about many of the diseases FAH is working on. We have friends suffering from cancer, Alzheimers, etc. and we have kids that FAH will certainly benefit. These friends also have resources and can afford the electricity. So, they're relatively easy to convince and they generally don't ever notice FAH is running (no gamers).

Currently I have 107 active cpus in the last 50 days, 93 in the last 7. I turned off all the legacy rigs so the 107 will come down a bit but won't affect the 7 day count.

Thats just plain awesome. Are you running it as a service, where they can't see it running?

EDIT: How easy is it to do that?

Honestly its cheating to me.... If you have 7 computers fine run FAH onthem.. However running FAH on any computer where the owner of the comptuer does not know it is running I consider very wrong... People who do that are no better than the people who install spyware on your computer.

CGR said:
Honestly its cheating to me.... If you have 7 computers fine run FAH onthem.. However running FAH on any computer where the owner of the comptuer does not know it is running I consider very wrong... People who do that are no better than the people who install spyware on your computer.

You make a very good point...

You are correct. You should make sure you have permission to install FAH on anyone elses computer. I'm pretty sure ChasR does have permission so it's not a problem.

Not to mention illegal borging is, well, illegal so we try to keep that to a minimum around here. AFAIK everyone on team 32 that has bunches and bunches of borgs has gotten permission before installing fah.

I guess the cheating part only applies to your score and the work units you do, but in terms of finding a cure for cancer, who really cares.... Right?

I have permission to run it on every computer and I consider it cheating to do otherwise. Anyone who installs it on a computer without permission deserves to have their points zeroed.
But I do install it as a service, not so that people won't see it, but so that it runs when the computer is on without a user logged in. When run as a service FAH is out of sight and out of mind and as a result, fewer people blame FAH for their computer problems and look for the real cause first.

Wedo's one-click installs FAH as a service on W2K and XP. If you use the Stanford install program simply answer yes to install as a service. For many of my friends rigs I got their spec's and emailed them a one-click configured appropriately for their computer. They installed FAH themselves using the one click.

Last edited:
Wedo and I are system admin's for several different companies in the healthcare industry... we have permission to fold on all machines and we do. I have close to 140 CPU's and he has about 116 or so... FAH actually HELPS us troubleshoot if a problem arises with a machine, we can look at the logs which can help us diagnose. As you know, dust is a huge enemy of computers. When we get a call saying that a machine is shutting down or rebooting on it's own we know it is getting too hot and that it is time to get the dust off out and blow the HSF off... Never have we had any user EVER mention or complain about FAH.

I do agree that permission is key and that without it you are just as bad as spyware.

CGR said:
However running FAH on any computer where the owner of the comptuer does not know it is running I consider very wrong... People who do that are no better than the people who install spyware on your computer.

Exactly. Illegal and unethical. There have been some spectacular instances where illegal installation took place, of course they were eventually discovered and their points zero'd...just the opposite of what they intended.

For some, a passion can become a sickness, regardless of the pursuit.

Working in IT is probably the easiest way.

I rocked about 20 rigs for awhile untill it started getting warmer. Right now I've only got a few slower rigs going, to hot everywhere else.

I had a few 3.2ht boxes going on my test station for a while but the ac doesn't come on till 8, so I was walking into a wall of heat each morning. Lame.

Quite a few of us are just simple farmers ... the only complaint after laying out the $ to build em (actually no complaints building them ... that is the fun part) is paying for the juice to keep em running and cooled. :eek:

I expect the avg ppd/rig for farmers is somewhat higher than for borgers since we can manage rigs with a higher OC, and to some degree manage to get the wu's crunching on the optimal rigs.

I has 124 active CPU in the past 50 days, and with only 74 active within the past 7 days. I build and own a part of it (some just do nothing but fold at home, and a small part is the machines at work). the rest is at my friend's place (work) which I got permission to fold (and was running seti for a couple years before that).

YES, you WILL need permission FIRST!! just to share a true story with you guys, a couple years ago, a guy secretly installed SETI@Home at a local college in Georgia. of course the college found out, and guess what happen to him? he got sued from the Georgia State!! reason? stealing state goverment resource and they somehow got caculated how much electricity he had used by running SETI@Home, so they also sued him for ALL the eclectric bill too!!! the sum is in the tens of thousand!!!!! sooo, trust me, it's NOT worth to steal cpu cycle for anything and no to mention it WILL left a bad mark on any/all DC project!!!!

I find it very interesting that the some people have low scores and high work units...

The faster the CPU, the more point per WU?

I will use myself as an example:

I have a WU of 24, with a score of 4438.
EDIT: 4 CPUS's

Craptacualr has a WU of 3278 with a score of 4439..

Why is that?

Last edited:
Joeteck said:
I find it very interesting that the some people have low scores and high work units...

The faster the CPU, the more point per WU?

I will use myself as an example:

I have a WU of 24, with a score of 4438.
EDIT: 4 CPUS's

Craptacualr has a WU of 3278 with a score of 4439..

Why is that?
Since you are just a mere n00b at the fold (haha!) you may not know that back in the day, 5 years ago or so, WU's were worth less than ONE point! Some were 1 point, some were 2 but most were worth like .6 etc. I remember when the first 5 pointer came out, we all freaked out that it was worth so much! Anyway, that is the reason why... the new folders will have far less WU's and more points where the older folders will have tons of WU's and less points if you average... Take SKIP for example, he started at the beginning of the project and stopped long ago..

Points = 13045
WU's = 7413
Average WU Point value = 1.759 :eek:

You are so old and wise Nikhs...

Back in 'Nam... We didn't HAVE these fancy schmancy high-valued WUs. We had to make do with what The Man© gave us! It was you vs the CIO, mano y mano... tooth and nail... But we made it. We fought the good war so you snot nosed punks can enjoy these blessed 'easy' genomes!!!

nikhsub1 said:
Since you are just a mere n00b at the fold (haha!) you may not know that back in the day, 5 years ago or so, WU's were worth less than ONE point! Some were 1 point, some were 2 but most were worth like .6 etc. I remember when the first 5 pointer came out, we all freaked out that it was worth so much! Anyway, that is the reason why... the new folders will have far less WU's and more points where the older folders will have tons of WU's and less points if you average... Take SKIP for example, he started at the beginning of the project and stopped long ago..

Points = 13045
WU's = 7413

When does a WU worth more than 1?

nikhsub1 said:

Points = 13045
WU's = 7413

I may be a noob, but my points are rising quickly for only 4 CPU's.
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&teamnum=32&username=joeteck

Back