• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To upgrade or not to upgrade... thats the question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimsum232

Hello everyone,
I’m currently the owner of a

ADM 64 3000 1.8 (overclocked to 2.4)
Evga 7800GT
Lanparty UT DF4 utra-D
1GB ram

I use this machine mainly for gaming (WoW, Everquest 2, Ghost recon). which some of those games are hardware demanding. Now my question is, should I spent extra $200 bucks to upgrade the CPU to an AMD 64X2 4400+, dose the $ justify the improvement differences?

Last edited:
EQ2? 70 Fury LFG!

Processor would be good, but depending on how much you play EQ2, you REALLY want 2GB of RAM. The difference is far beyond being just night and day. It's nearly an entirely different game when you have 2GB instead of 1GB. For one thing, the expansion zones (DoF and KoS) run waaaay better with the extra RAM.

I can't remember if EQ2 was multi-threaded or not, so I don't know what impact a dual core processor would have on it, but another 1GB or RAM will go very far with EQ2, and quite a few other newer games too.

well you could just go for a 4000+, seeing as it has a higher clock speed and same cache. I just changed from a 4000 to a 4400 and dont see that much difference. Plus, the 4000 is cheaper

also, in agreement with him, use the money you save to get another gb of ram

I don't think you'd see much of a difference. The 3000+ is a good chip and you already have it OCed. Right now you are GPU limited and that's not really worth upgrading until DX10, as the 7800GT is still a very good card. The RAM, as others have pointed out, wouldn't be a terrible idea. Many games are moving towards using more than 1GB of RAM. I would save my money until upgrading would really make a huge difference.

Before bashing off the dual cores, consider that in the next crop of games we will start to see more threading which means running on two cores. You waiil also want to consider 2 gigs of memory in the future budger!

Back