• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Windows 10 or not to Windows 10, that is the question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

So I have used Windows 10 on my laptop for the last few months of 2015 and up until a few weeks ago when I got my desktop built. Now that the lappy is gone, I have only my desktop, and there's that looming question: Should I take the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10? My laptop came with Windows 8.1, so the question was a no-brainer there. But here I'm actually not sure. We all know Windows 10 is Windows 7 with some of the Windows 8 aesthetic features sprinkled in, as well as some of the core functional features. So, besides security, is there any good reason to upgrade? Faster boot times, better performance? Perhaps there are some know issues with parts from the manufacturers I chose for my build (listed in my signature). If anyone has a good argument to give here, I'd love to hear it. Maybe we can save a few other people as well ;)

Frankly, I don't see any real reason to not get the free upgrade at this point unless you have software or something that outright refuses to work in 10.

Take a look at the couple of other W10 threads we have discussing its merits and some people's concerns (typically about privacy). Just upgrade. :)

Upgrade just to license your machine on the cloud so you can have the OPTION of Windows 10.
Then you can revert back at any time after that if you want.

After July 2016, this thread question will be harder to answer because free upgrade option will be gone.
I have to upgrade all fam laptops before July just to have the option on them but not all will be kept on Win10.

To really revert back on some laptops you need to make an image of all partitions though since Windows 10 does change the partition table on some laptops and this makes it more difficult to revert back to Win8 or earlier.

I've been mainly a linux user for a long time (only use windows when it's a absolute must). I picked up this Gigabyte brix and decided to give 10 a shot used my copy of 7 to upgrade to it. I actually really like it. So far it has won me over to use it for gaming and stuff (only game on linux even if it ment WINE or waiting and testing to get something to finally work in WINE months after release lol). IMO give it a shot it caught me by surprise.

It's here, it's going to be here, it's going to be the only supported windows so you're going to anyway, might as well jump in the pool.

I moved all of my PCs to Windows 10.

It loads faster than Windows 7.

The interface is better than Windows 8.1.

I also find it "smoother" than I found Windows 7.

Also, can't beat the task manager in Windows 10.

I was actually pretty surprised with 10, put it on a new build, was pretty nice, I would suggest getting pro as it has more options and control then home/student versions.

I have windows 10 and 7 running and I can't tell the difference with a stop watch they both start and run the same. I like the task manger in windows 10 it has more information.

Windows 10 is just XP-7-8.1 just with new features and skin.

it should never be a question, be one with the 10.
do it.
i dont work for microsoft this is not a microsoft sponsored post.

From most recent experience, have the privacy issues been resolved? Meaning, are you able to turn off all features easily so that Win 10 doesn't try to sell you things or monitor everything you do, type, use, say?

I briefly read some posts online but most of them are "outdated"?

There was no change that I know of and I urge others to post if there was but there was no change that would amount to anything being 'resolved'.
Windows 10 has numerous settings which can be changed, numerous entries which can be adjusted.

The biggest problem is not that they are there but that they reset themselves, depending on what kind of a Windows Update is installed.

Any registry changes should be saved into a .reg file which should be run after Windows Updates. That, to me, would be a 'resolution'. In other words, making adjustments once is not a long-term solution.

There was no change that I know of and I urge others to post if there was but there was no change that would amount to anything being 'resolved'.
Windows 10 has numerous settings which can be changed, numerous entries which can be adjusted.

The biggest problem is not that they are there but that they reset themselves, depending on what kind of a Windows Update is installed.

Any registry changes should be saved into a .reg file which should be run after Windows Updates. That, to me, would be a 'resolution'. In other words, making adjustments once is not a long-term solution.

Good to know, thanks.

From most recent experience, have the privacy issues been resolved? Meaning, are you able to turn off all features easily so that Win 10 doesn't try to sell you things or monitor everything you do, type, use, say?

I briefly read some posts online but most of them are "outdated"?

Seriously? That is a deal-breaker for me.

So they do... I turned it off anyway (not knowing that was a key logger), so I could care less (and frankly, neither should anyone that uses it since it can be disabled). :p

Last edited:
Back