• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so my ISP called...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karbon

I got a call this morning from Adelphia and the guy said that they have to send someone over right away to replace our modem. He said "someone from the main office called their division and told them to shut us down". Then, he said that our cable modem (leased from adelphia, a few years old) was acting like a server and I quote "interfering with the entire Adelphia network" by acting as a server.

He went on to say that unless they could come over today, they would have to shut down our cable until august 15th. He said that they had problems with this before with gamers: some halo players would "rig their modem" or uncap it...

I'm running 90 red library clients on my computer but that shouldn't really cause a problem...all they do is validate URLs every few minutes. Majestic 12 has been going full steam, but last month I dl'ed around 700gigs, this month I'm only at 250.

Should I be worried? I don't want them to shut off my cable for a week but I don't think I did anything wrong...

I really don't do anything illegal.

AFAIK adelphia doesn't have a bandwidth limit per month. With majestic 12 alone I've dl'ed about 1.7 TB and they haven't said anything until now. For a solid 2 months I had MJ-12 using my bandwidth 24/7. For a week I had problems with my router and stopped running it, I just started it again and this happened

Don't let them in your house or they will drag you away in chains:eek:

j/k

They just want to change out the modem so why not let them?

There's no way you could download 700GB of legal data... unless you decided to download every distro of Linux over and over again.

There is a way: Majestic-12 is a distributed search engine indexer. So unless google, yahoo and msn search are illegal, then he can download 700MB "legal data". Another way would be an obsessive compulsive videostream watcher.

If they can't replace your modem right away ask if you can go to their local office and exchange your modem for a new one. I have done that twice with Adelphia because I didn't want to wait 1-2 weeks for a tech to come out and replace it.

if they cut you off for that long as for a free dial up account to hold you over and make sure you get a refund for the time offline.

All they said is in my first post.

Ddruid_SMP: that link shows that today alone I've downloaded 19.9 gigs so far. In a little over 3 months I've downloaded 1.78TB just on majestic 12. On top of that I regularly download gaming videos as well.

Karbon said:
All they said is in my first post.

Ddruid_SMP: that link shows that today alone I've downloaded 19.9 gigs so far. In a little over 3 months I've downloaded 1.78TB just on majestic 12. On top of that I regularly download gaming videos as well.

Mis-read that, my fault.

That project sure sucks up the bw..

To take the most pessimistic view, their Acceptable Use Policy dictates that they may have the right to disconnect you if they can prove you were "interfering with the entire Adelphia network" (as you quoted).

Adelpha AUP said:
You agree not to use, or allow Users to use, the Adelphia Broadband Service, the Adelphia Network, the Equipment or the Software...to improperly interfere with, inhibit, degrade or restrict the use and operation of the Adelphia Broadband Service... [by] disrupting the Adelphia Network

I don't know if they could make the case in court that your 700GB was disrupting the network, but you'd probably have to sue them to find out.

That, or it's something else that they could be calling you about. See if you can get any more definate information from them on what they mean when they said you were "interfering with the entire Adelphia network". Is it that bandwidth, or something else?

JigPu

Surely they have a fair usage policy in place instead of a bandwidth limit?

If so, then 700GB will definitely constitute as unfair usage, particularly if a large percentage of that is actually uploaded data from your machine. What they usually ask for in such policies is that you do the heavy uploading and downloading at night, when overall usage is low. If you're doing it 24/7, you will stick out like a sore thumb, and the networks aren't designed to sustain such speeds and constant usage, most are just designed to cope with large short bursts of information.

how can they determine what is acceptable use? especially!! consisderiing the world of HI-Def now, 200MB movie trailers, places like Utube and the such being around - 700G a month, sorry, is not really alot when you have access to say a 6mbps down connection.

All these ISP's are advertising "come use high speed to get high quality content!!!" and then they cry when people actually make sure osf the service instead of being an old granny checking email and the wheather channel.

Hmm, I guess I was wrong about the whole bandwidth thing. Adelphia came and replaced the modem, and I'm already back up without any problems. They never said anything about the enormous amounts of bandwidth, only that the modem was acting as a server.

During peak hours, say 3-11pm, I get 30 loss to everything. So I don't exactly feel bad for using all the bandwidth.

Karbon said:
Hmm, I guess I was wrong about the whole bandwidth thing. Adelphia came and replaced the modem, and I'm already back up without any problems. They never said anything about the enormous amounts of bandwidth, only that the modem was acting as a server.

During peak hours, say 3-11pm, I get 30 loss to everything. So I don't exactly feel bad for using all the bandwidth.

Was going to say, if they made no mention of the BW, then why worry about it? They said your modem was an issue, they were going to replace it. I would of just let them come, replace it, and continued on as normal.

Back