• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD on boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Treker

Old School Senior
I'm having a major problem recovering my old windows install.

here's the story.

my dual tualatin rig got flakey due to mobo problems, at the time It hought it was software related so I tried to do a hotfix via windows reinstall , everything went fine, then the computer rebooted and started installing drivers, BUT when prompted for information I was unable to input due to usb keyboard/mouse not functioning during install and my ps/2 slots had been fired.. so I figure I'd pull out the hd, put it in another computer and finish the install that way?!

wrong! - I am greated with bsod regarding chkdsk /f , it thinks my hd is faulty.. well about then my new hp zd8000 showed up so I put my hd on the back burner..

well 3 months later and I need the data badly for my business, so I buy a new hd, and get a usb shell to put the old hd in..

I had to repair the boot sector along the way, but if I piggy back the HD all of the data is there, and all of it is there when I use it in the usb shell.

I figure the hd is crap so I copy everything over to a nice big 250 gig hd.

Should be good to go right?

So I pop in the windows cd again and try todo a repair install to get all of my data back and same enviroment, ect as I had ( had loved )

well it will do the reinstall, but as soon as I reboot, the same thing hapens, BSOD , telling me to run chkdsk /f .. but its a brand new hd and there is nothing wrong with it..

At this point I can only figure that the problem is sotware related due to some of my old settings/drivers , ect.

whatever the problem is, my goal is to sucessfuly do a re-install/upgrade and reclaim my prior windows enviroment, nothing less of that would be acceptable, but I am out of ideas !

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, but I've never never never ran into this problem before and I can't beat it alone !

I'm also wondering if it is possible todo some kind of file/settings transfer hack to pull the data from my new harddrive and incorporate everything onto my new laptop and existing system, that would be even better, or atleast something that would work.

Of course the problem as always is that I have a (usb) hardrive with a windows system that will not boot , so how can I manually ( or remotely ?) back up the files and settings to transfer to the laptop, and regain my windows enviroment?

This one's got me stumped!

Last edited:
In a nut shell..

I have an old hd from my old computer, the computer was starting to fail - I tried to do a reinstall, but I was unable to complete the due to failed ps2 ports and usb keyboard/mouse not working during install.

The only option I had was to pull out the hd and put it in a computer with working ps2 ports in order to complete the install - that is when the bsod started to show up.

Time passes.. about 3 months..

I put the old hd onto a new hd and 'installed' in a new computer.

I am still not able to boot windows and complete the install.

I tried to restart the re-install process with a fresh xp disk - I am able to start the process, but after the reboot to finish install , I am greated again by the bsod.

I included the total history in order to help diagnose , and avoid dead ends, or areas I already tired

I want to recover my old settings, mainly I want to complete the re-install which would return my OS to 'normal'

So in otherwords, Why am I getting this BSOD and how do I get around it ? - Remeber, there is nothing wrong with the hardrive

Back