• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Cooler for X850Pro...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7dcharger

Registered
I bought one of the X850Pro's from the ATI deal listed in the Cyber Deals section.

Whats the best cooler for it?

Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 Rev 2 or Thermalright V1 Ultra VGA Cooler ?

I know the Arctic Cooling is cheaper, but from some of the reviews it seems that the Thermalright is about 6c cooler than it. Is it worth ~$20 more?

I do plan on trying to unlock the 4 extra pipes and overclocking it to XT PE speeds.

The Zalman VF900-Cu is a very good cooler, but from the ones you've mentioned the Thermalright is the best. However, a warning, if you do get the thermalright I read a few reviews of it a while back, and while it is a good cooler, the reviewer from one place almost killed the card when fitting it and the others had difficulty getting it mounted properly.

7dcharger said:
I bought one of the X850Pro's from the ATI deal listed in the Cyber Deals section.

Whats the best cooler for it?

Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 Rev 2 or Thermalright V1 Ultra VGA Cooler ?

I know the Arctic Cooling is cheaper, but from some of the reviews it seems that the Thermalright is about 6c cooler than it. Is it worth ~$20 more?

I do plan on trying to unlock the 4 extra pipes and overclocking it to XT PE speeds.

The V1 would be good if you have the space to spare, the part of the sink that is postioned on the back isn't for everyone.

If you have the space below the card, i'd go with the ATI Silencer... though it depends on the space you have available.

IMHO 6c isn't worth 20 bucks.

~ Gos

depends if money if your concern or if performance is your concern.

There is also the silencer 6 rev. 2 if you got the room. I have one of those. Works fine.

I like the VF-900 too.

Accelero X2?

i have a v1 ultra, and it owns temps like nothing else really... especially if you have a small er cpu heatsink, you could put on your own BIG fan on it.... (Mine has 92mm fan) you can even mount another fan on the botton if u dont use pci slots (lowered temps by 5c more). It is hard to mount, but if you take your time, dont rush, you will be fine. I mean, its the best cooler on the market, why would you not buy something if its only hard to mount? you only do it once lol, and it gives better performance for however long u keep the card. Its not really worth the money tho... If i were to get a new cooler, i would get the accelero, 22 bucks on newegg, and it runs only a little bit hotter than my v1 ultra.

Only thing about the Silencer is it pumps the hot air OUT of the case like the stock coolers do. The zalman one looks nice but it does not pump it out...would be neat with mine tho because it would match my other HSF's

One question....does the silencer or the zalman use any more headroom than the stock cooler does (does it fit in the "2 slots altted space")? I would like to get something for mine soon, I have 2 x850's in crossfire but since i have dual gpu the cooler would not be able to take up too much room so that the other card can still fit in.

I have the AW8D which only has one PCI slot as well which holds my X-Fi Extreme sound card...that would have to still fit as well.

anyone know for sure?

Thx

Card came in yesterday, I installed it this morning and didn't have a lot of time to fool around with it. I did find out that the Fuses and Die code do not have 'F' in the correct postions in the strings. I have a '7' and and 'E', so I think I might be SOL on unlocking the 4 extra pipes. I'm going to give it a try anyway and see what happens. I think I'm going to go with the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 Rev 2, due to the fact that it does vent out the back of the case.

ATI Silencers vent the hot air yeah, but they'll hardly perform better than the stock cooler. If your x850pro is anything like mine even without the extra 4 pipes should it overclock sufficiently I doubt you'll end up missing them. With the stock cooler I wasn't able to push the card very far but getting a V1 ultra changed that quickly. They're definately worth the money even without venting outside.

Back