• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Maze4 GPU block mounting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

I've been trying to install a Maze4 GPU block on one of the many 7600GTs that I have in my house, and I've found two things:
-I have the 'X' style mounting hardware and nothing else:bang head
-7600GT's don't use the 'X' style mounting hardware:mad:
Looking at my block and my card, I think I may be able to rig up some custom mounting hardware, I just need one thing:
-The size of the screw needed (one end screws into the block, the other end holds it tightly against the back of the card)
I can make a back brace for it out of wood or something, that won't be hard, but rather than trying hundreds of different screws, I figured I'd ask to see if anyone knew the size, if anyone had the two-hole mounting hardware and wanted to give/sell it to me, or if anyone has a better suggestion. :beer:

The newer screw size is typically 2mm (the 4-screw 60mm pattern) but the old 2-hole pattern usually uses 3mm, which is the same as the threaded holes and screws that you use to mount 5.25" drives.
Most of the 7600GT cards I've seen have both sets of mounting holes.

well, the backboard 'X' thingy I have doesn't fit across four holes, so maybe it's just for ATI?

The 4 threaded holes in the top of the Maze4 should line up with the 4-hole pattern on your card. You don't need to use a backplate piece and could simply use 2mm screws with washers or threaded rods, washers, springs, and knurled nuts.

I know they should, but only the two bigger threaded holes line up. The outer four, threaded smaller, don't line up at all....shucks!

based on this pic:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/acetalmaze4gpu01.jpg
The larger holes closest to the center at each corner align with the four mounting holes I have, and the 'standard nvidia holes' align with holes on the card, but the acrylic 'X' I have doesn't match up with any holes! Does ATI 'X' mounting differ from other 'X' mounting? I didn't think it did, but perhaps the 7600GT was an exception and Google doesn't know it :mad:

The 6800 holes are 2mm, everything else is 3mm. The backing plate is made for the 6800-type holes and nothing else.

Last edited:
Well, I think it's for 7900's too, as that's what I have my Maze 4 on and the backing plate fits fine...

So I probably have the 2mm screws, since they don't really screw in the bigger holes...duh. Off to mcmaster...though I don't really know what to look for, "threaded rods" gives me WAY too many options :(

Use the standard nVidia holes and mount the block using leftover 3mm screws that you should have from various cases and drives. Just use washers with them.
The 4 holes closest to the center of the top is a hole pattern standard more common on ATi cards.

Last edited:
The 3mm case screws I have aren't nearly long enough to make it from the back to the waterblock, as the copper base elevates the top, and the GPU itself is higher than the card. I may end up going to the hardware shop anyways....

The hardware store should have some metric screws you can use. I know Lowe's and Home Depot usually stock them in the drawer cabinets.

Back