• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Sata II mods Confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Fri

I started through jonspd's excellent collection of mods for this board. But now I'm confused. I want to do a moderate OC with this board. Do I need to mod the Vcore and Vddim for a moderate OC? If so, which one of the many choices should I use?

What's the voltages without the mods? I've seen in the "What's your highest OC with the 939 dual?" post that many get their max OC at 1.4v. Is this possible without mods? I want to use this board (socket 939) with an X2 3800+ for one system and a 3500+ for the other.

You will not need any volt mods to get a moderate overclock. I got to 2.76 Ghz without any volt mods. Just search around the forums on the basics of overclocking the board. The bios is pretty simple, you should have it in no time.

ewb302 said:
You will not need any volt mods to get a moderate overclock. I got to 2.76 Ghz without any volt mods. Just search around the forums on the basics of overclocking the board. The bios is pretty simple, you should have it in no time.

ewb,

How are your Kingston HyperX? I just got a pair KHX3200AK2/1G
2-3-2-6 to try because they are 2.6v stock to begin. Are they the same as yours? RT

RollingThunder said:
ewb,

How are your Kingston HyperX? I just got a pair KHX3200AK2/1G
2-3-2-6 to try because they are 2.6v stock to begin. Are they the same as yours? RT

I believe mine are KHX3200/512 (no AK2 in the part number on the sticks). I have never taken the heat spreaders off, but I think mine are the old BH5 chips. Is your SPD 2-3-2-6? I think that is CH5 you have. Kingston stopped using the BH5 in the HyperX a long time ago. Mine defaults to 2-2-2-6 though. Mine likes a lot of voltage, yours may be ok without higher voltage. With the voltage on "high" in the BIOS, I can only get to about 205 Mhz @ 2-2-2-6 with mine. I used a conductive pen to bridge a resistor, and I am now at 3.04 V on my RAM. Now I can get to about 215 stable with my RAM.

Bottom line, I have to run a huge divider to get my HTT up for the CPU, but keep the RAM stable. The RAM is fully compatibe with the board however, if you are concerned about that in any way.

ewb302 said:
I believe mine are KHX3200/512 (no AK2 in the part number on the sticks). I have never taken the heat spreaders off, but I think mine are the old BH5 chips. Is your SPD 2-3-2-6? I think that is CH5 you have. Kingston stopped using the BH5 in the HyperX a long time ago. Mine defaults to 2-2-2-6 though. Mine likes a lot of voltage, yours may be ok without higher voltage. With the voltage on "high" in the BIOS, I can only get to about 205 Mhz @ 2-2-2-6 with mine. I used a conductive pen to bridge a resistor, and I am now at 3.04 V on my RAM. Now I can get to about 215 stable with my RAM.

Bottom line, I have to run a huge divider to get my HTT up for the CPU, but keep the RAM stable. The RAM is fully compatibe with the board however, if you are concerned about that in any way.

ewb,

I haven't run them with any oc yet in my new RMA return board but they are SPD 2-3-2-6. With some vdimm and vcore mods I'll be able to work them and see. I'm not really concerned about compatibility, this board has run Ballistix and Patriots fine before the board failed although I didn't have enough vdimm for the Ballistix anyhow to overclock them for long (2.8v).

I posted in the memory section some photos of what chips these were without removing the spreaders with no answer. There may have not been enough info on the ends of the sticks to tell. You may have answered my question for me.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4633232&postcount=8

Mr. Fri said:
What voltages do you get without the mods? Is the 1.4v that I see people using with or without?

Mr. Fri,

On my board the vdimm checked at ~2.74v at idle and ~2.66v under load set on "high." The BIOS allows settings in increments for vcore up to 1.45v set on "high." Everest confirmed about the same. I never checked vcore with a multimeter and assumed the BIOS settings were accurate.

Back