• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yay! I lost another drive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrackerD|ce

So I am going ahead and getting ready to reinstall windows. I continued to plug my floppy drive into the comp. for my raid drivers and boot her up. From there I turn it on, the floppy sounded like it was going to lift off the ground the motor was spinning so fast. Then there was some nice smoke and a pop from the floppy, so I turn off my system and reboot go into windows since I say screw it now I can't install my raid so I will deal with my problems at hand for a couple more days. It gets to windows and POP! takes out one of the my drives that I was using for raid 1. It was the same cable that the floppy was plugged into, so like is this the PSU? Antec TP 500? If it is I'm in love cuz my Ultra 600 took out another drive and my mobo a couple months back...

I remember frying one of my floppy drives. What happened was since the power connector on the floppy drive was in an awkward spot and it was hard to reach, I managed to slip the power plug from the psu on it anyways. After the damage was done I pulled the floppy drive out to inspect it and saw that I had not plugged floppy power plug in correctly. I missed 1 pin and that's how i friend the floppy. Lucky for me I did'nt fry anything else.

heh oh well, my comp. is running fine now, lost a drive but that can be remedied by changing out the board hopefully. Plus I just recieved my seagate 320 yesterday.

Yea, I don't understand the luck of some. Dude I know just throws all his extra parts in his room, hooks em up and 9 times outta 10 they still work, me I plug a floppy in that I just had posted up on a dirty bookshelf under papers and it pops, but then again it coulda been the connection from the main molex, Damn them y-splitters.

A friend of mine had this issue too. One pin off and he fried the drive and also one of his hardrives. The back of the floppy drive was charred on the power connecter. You would think they would try to protect agiast that happening with a better connector.

man, atleast I aint the only one, makes me feel somewhat better. Well guess it's time to count my losses... I shoulda known something was bad and not let it continue when the bugger was zooming like a little rice burner.

Back