• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advantages of an AM2 Socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lXlFUSElXl

How much of an advantage does an AM2 Socket have over a 939 socket...is it worth goin with an X2 socket or to go with the Am2 X2 socket?

Well not really the only thing you get is ddr2 =( and im not a fan of the ddr2 timmings yet . I would keep what you have or grab a 939 x2 that way you dont need a new mb and new ram

I guess my next question is how much of a performance difference would there be between a 4800+ X2 and a 4200+ X2? and what would be the better of the 2 to go with

Most x2's Overclock to about the same speed 2.6-2.8 .
i choise the 4400+ because it has 1mb cash vs 512kb , thats what I would suggest mine is prime stable 24 hours @ 2.7 , and 3hours @ 2.8 Im tweaking to get more stablility out of it , but my buddy just got one and his isnt doing as good hes only getting 2.4 =( . So it is always hit and miss but most ppl are getting better than his 2.4

The only real advantage is upgradability for future. Performance is the same for AM2 or 939 respectable chips. DDR2 is generally slower than DDR, not by much but it is a bit. Not sure about the bandwidth though. Just the timeings are slower.

For a quick, easy upgrade... go with the 939 X2, and get a Toledo core with the 2x1MB cache. With that said, buyer beware... there are two versions of the 4400 X2 available right now. One is 110W TDP, the other is 89W TDP. Some of the 89W (newer) chips aren't clocking very well (like my CCBWE 0609- 2.6-2.7 max on high volts ~1.6v), but on the flipside we're also seeing some major clocks (2.8-2.9 with possible 3.0GHz) with lower volts on some of the better 4400 steppings (CCB1E 0610 is doing extremely well). So it's hit or miss for OC so far on the new low power (89W) 4400s. I cannot comment on the 110W versions.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. If you are changing sockets/motherboards, there is absolutely NO reason to go with 939 unless you are on an extremely tight budget. The performance difference is negligable, but AM2 will support AM3 and K8L cpus when they arrive providing a much more viable upgrade path in the future. For all intents and purposes, 939 is dead as far as upgrades are concerned.

With AM2 you DO have to buy new ram, but that is the ONLY added expense and it provides a lot more upgradability in the future whereas 939 provides none.

Also, AM2 cpu's tend to be slightly more reasonably priced, and most of us here only expect them to go down in pricing from here on out.

If he already has a 939 board and ddr ram, why would he go AM2? Youd have to buy a completely new board and expensive ram. AM2 really takes advantage of faster ram (ddr2 800).

I agree with yo444 if you are building a complete new system or coming off of socket A or 754, but if you have a whole 939 setup just buy the 939 chip for a cheap upgrade that will hold you for as long as it takes for K8L to get here and even longer. By then, DDR3 will be out and current AM2 boards will not support (as far as i know) ddr3, so youd have to buy a new board anyway.

And last time i looked all 939 and AM2 CPU prices were almost exact, within a few dollars of each other.

Only reason I went with AM2 is that I needed a new video card, which means PCI-e, my A8V was AGP = new mobo = new CPU = new RAM.

Get a AM2 mobo, some DDR2, and a cheapo Sempron for the time being, and you will be set for around 2 years for upgrade compatability.

Why would he get a cheap sempron? If hes going to shell out the money for a mobo and ddr2, and then throw a cheap CPU in there, why do it at all? He could use all of that money and put it towards a 939 X2. That doesnt make sense...

As for upgradability, there is so much new stuff coming out in the nearish future, DX10, Vista, DD3, AM3 K8L, Seeing what AMD+ATI puts out, etc, that when it comes time to upgrade you are almost guaranteed to have to upgrade other stuff along with it. I think a 939 X2 will hold you well out untill K8L and DDR3 are out. Only reason i would go AM2 is a COMPLETELY new build (which, is exactly what i did for a family computer).

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
Why would he get a cheap sempron? If hes going to shell out the money for a mobo and ddr2, and then throw a cheap CPU in there, why do it at all? He could use all of that money and put it towards a 939 X2. That doesnt make sense...

As for upgradability, there is so much new stuff coming out in the nearish future, DX10, Vista, DD3, AM3 K8L, Seeing what AMD+ATI puts out, etc, that when it comes time to upgrade you are almost guaranteed to have to upgrade other stuff along with it. I think a 939 X2 will hold you well out untill K8L and DDR3 are out. Only reason i would go AM2 is a COMPLETELY new build (which, is exactly what i did for a family computer).
TOTALY AGREE

Y would he get every thing new when all he wants/need is a new cpu . Even If i was doing a total upgrade i wouldnt go am2 it seams like one of the most useless upgrades out there , Wow we get DDR2 lol , when ddr1 timmings are MUch better

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:

Well, if he is willing to shell out all that cash at once, more power to him, might as well get a few 79000GTXs, 4gb of DDR2 800, and 3 500gb SATA in RAID while he is at it. Must be nice to have that much money, I had to buy mine part by part, untill I could afford the whole rig setup, and a $48 Sempron was the perfect temporary solution to a $400 X2.

i agree. AM2 seems like a worthless "upgrade" and not very fancy in the technology department either.

Oroka Sempai said:
Well, if he is willing to shell out all that cash at once, more power to him, might as well get a few 79000GTXs, 4gb of DDR2 800, and 3 500gb SATA in RAID while he is at it. Must be nice to have that much money, I had to buy mine part by part, untill I could afford the whole rig setup, and a $48 Sempron was the perfect temporary solution to a $400 X2.

Huh? What the hell are you talking about? Your the one who told him to upgrade his mobo/cpu/ram all at once, which will cost him 125+200+225 to go AM2. I said all he should do is upgrade to a 939 socket CPU (a socket which he currently has a motherboard and ram for) so ALL he has to buy is the CPU. Therefore, saving him 325$ for the same if not 2% less performance.

And how would a 48$ Sempron a "perfect" temproary solution to a "400$" x2?
1. The Most expensive X2 is the 4800X2 which can currently be found for 288$
2. Temporary solution to what? K8L? DDR3? There not going to be released till middle of 2007. An almost 9 month wait. 9 months doesnt seem like a temporary solution to me.
3. He is not building a whole new rig. Thats the POINT. He doesnt HAVE to. Your the one who told him to build an AM2 rig. Im telling him all he has to do is upgrade his CPU to a socket 939 X2, therefore, saving him 325+$.
4. If he has how much money?

IF you are building a COMPLETE NEW AMD SYSTEM, Go AM2
If you just want to upgrade your current 939 setup, just buy a 939 CPU and keep your mobo/ram

SteveLord said:
i agree. AM2 seems like a worthless "upgrade" and not very fancy in the technology department either.

All AM2 was for is to let AMD say they have a DDR2 system out. There the same exact chips as the 939, same arch, same everything, except that they support DDR2. AMD didnt release it as an upgrade socket, they released it so people who are building a whole new AMD system will be able to use DDR2 and have somewhat futureproof setup.

It is a pointless upgrade coming from 939
It is not a pointless upgrade from Socket A/754

the only thing am2 has over 939 is ddr2 and the ability to support Am3 and K8L which most likey you'll get raped for if you wanna buy one...

go conroe

sorry couldnt help it

Rattle said:
go conroe

sorry couldnt help it

:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

he is not building a new system. he is seeing the advantages of an AM2 X2 over a 939 X2. but if he was building a new system, and wasnt on a super tight budget, i agree. conroe is the way to go :)

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

he is not building a new system. he is seeing the advantages of an AM2 X2 over a 939 X2. but if he was building a new system, and wasnt on a super tight budget, i agree. conroe is the way to go :)

there is none accept the ability to go AM3 when it comes out so they say..

I hear ya though I was just being a wiseass

lol i figured :)

Advantages : DDR2, somewhat futureproof.
Disadvantages coming from previous AMD socket pre 939 : nothing
Disadvantages coming from 939 : everything

I swear I never want to hear or read futureproof again :D. How futureproof has S939 been over S754 when everyone is going AM2 or waiting for AM3 or K8L? One, two, or three years is not futureproof. My old Powermac G3 was more "futureproof" than any offering AMD has to offer. Its CPU socket went through five generations of CPUs since 1997 and I used three of those in it. Its first CPU ran at 233MHz and its current fastest one (still for sale mind you) is 1.1GHz and for those who overclock, can be pushed a few hundred MHz higher. If I hadn't cracked the core on mine water cooling it I would still be using it.

Buy what you need to buy. If AM2 works for your budget, go for it. If S939 is all you need or can afford, go for that.

Back