• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my crt toast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

alright, ofcourse this happens after i dump my old monitors.

today i turned everything on and started playing a game when my monitor would go blurry, some times so much it looked like a big pastel smear and then CLICK and it was fine, it also would kinda fade back and fourth from being fuzzy to sharp.

its a "Dell" Trinitron P1110.

could it be a bad monitor cable? it shadows really bad and its not a well sheilded cable

well i was gonna post that it went away but just as i clicked on the topic link it did it again, if i wap the side of it it kinda fixes it but not always

this is werid

edit:
forgot to say deguass didnt work, i'm gonna rummage arround inside of it see if theres a bad cap or transformer or something noticeable soon.
earlier in the week i fixed a tv, broken cold solder points on a transformer, i dont think i'll get as lucky with this one

Last edited:
My trinitron has been acting up latly it can't hold its corners very square and when I turn it off and back on the image is out of shape.

sucks to hear about your monitor. As a replacement if this one does die I would have to reccomend the Benq FP202W. Its cheap ($250 n Newegg), 20.1", has a nice response time for the price (8ms). Also does 1680 x 1050 Res. Nice and Widescreen :)

lcds in my mind arent quite up to par yet. soon i bet but not yet.
i'll figure out some way to repair it, probally gonna swap it out with one from my parents untill then

thanks for the heads up though

From what ive read in the past a monitor that has a dried up solder joint can cause those symptoms, especially if smacking the side of it makes it go back to normal.. the hard part is finding the dried solder joint.

i fixed a tv because of cold solder joints, i am guessing thats what your talking about...i havent reid wacking it but it hasnt been doing it the past few days

LCDs not being up to par is pretty hard to believe. A decent model will outperform a CRt nowadays. The ghosting "scare" is pretty much gone with most LCDs being less than 8ms response time. You could always compare them at your electronics store anyways.

no its the whole native resolution and the blacks thing. i still notice it on new lcds i am hoping when oled becomes more popular that theyre decently priced and have a better picture but i havent hard any thing new about oled recently

Will Eatforfood said:
LCDs not being up to par is pretty hard to believe. A decent model will outperform a CRt nowadays. The ghosting "scare" is pretty much gone with most LCDs being less than 8ms response time. You could always compare them at your electronics store anyways.

Even a 2ms LCD cant display framerates as smooth or "fluid" as a CRT (even if you're not seeing any ghosting) ..its hard to explain but Ive witnessed it in a side by side compare (CRT / LCD) then again CRTs have below 1ms response times and higher refresh rates ,refresh rate does matter when it comes to framerates,especially if you run with Vsync enabled. (100hz refresh = 100fps etc.)

Back