• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I installed an AIO and now my monitor doesn't detect my graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

All was working well with my stock air cooler. Then I installed an AIO and some new case fans, turn it on, and the monitor doesn't detect my GPU. I've tried different monitors and cables, the ram shuffle, a different GPU, and reseating the AIO and CPU to no avail. The only other thing I can think of is that shoving the AIO into place broke the cpu power cable but that seems unlikely.

Thoughts?

Edit: Added detail, the computer stays on. It doesn't turn on and then off, it's just that nothing shows up on my monitor.

Last edited:
This is the 5600x right? If it was an LGA CPU I would suggest mounting pressure. I suppose that could still be the issue with a Ryzen but it's less likely. Have you tried putting the air cooler back on? Which AIO is it? Are you certain that the mounting kit is not shorting the board somehow?

5600x, yes.

The AIO is the ml240l v2.

I played with the mounting pressure without any luck.

I haven't put the original stock cooler back on. I was hoping I wouldn't have to because all my wire work is perfect and I really don't want to re-install teh AIO haha. I will do what must be done though. - Any other ideas first?

It looks like this uses the stock AMD mounting hardware including the plastic retention clips? If so I have a hard time imaging it causing a short.

You mention something about shoving the AIO into place and the CPU power cable. Please tell more. Did something happen during installation? When did you have to "shove" the AIO into place, I'm assuming a top mounted radiator and putting pressure on the CPU power cable. Luckily the 750W PSU should have 2x 8pin CPU cables and the 5600x should only require one 8 pin cable at most. The 8-pin socket on the motherboard could be a different issue. Also it is not unheard of for the power cables pin to simply come out of the plug so another good thing to check.

Before I read back to the OP and saw mention of this, I was going to suggest checking all of the PSU cables anyway as the logical next step, so I think this is the point you're at. If that doesn't work then fully disassembling the PC and re-building it outside of the case is advised.

Your signature doesn't mention what case you're using, do you have other mounting options of the top mount clearance is not enough? Otherwise you can always consider filing or dremeling away some of the fan housing where it interferes with the power cable.

The AIO is the ml240l v2.

I used the same AIO with my 3900X, worked great. How did you mount it? I used the clips that attach to the motherboard mounting bracket. Never had any trouble with it or a Corsair H100 I attached the same way on a 1700X few years ago.

CM-AIO.jpg

The radiator didn't fit nice and easy, it needed a little encouragement. It was up against the clip part of the cpu power cable. I took out a screw and got it in.

I installed it exactly like that.

I have now replaced the gpu and cpu power cable, reseated the cpu with its original stock cooler, and unplugged everything but what is required and reset cmos with no luck.

Is it possible I shorted something with static? I felt a little pinch when installing the AIO but I thought it was just the corner of something.

I'm gonna RMA I think.

Last edited:
Not familiar with AMD Cpu's does that have a built in (APU)GPU that it defaults to if there no GPU installed? If so did you try the Mobo's VGA output if it has one? Checked the BIOS to make sure it did not reset itself to the APU and therefore would need to be switched to the GPU...Unless that is automatic.

You reseated the GPU that you switched to and checked its insertion correct? Try that one more time.

If the PC stays on I don't see how it could be your CPU and cooler, it would shut down within a minute.

Last edited:
No on-board video on this CPU. My best guess .... depending on the force you used to get the rad to seat something was damaged on the 8 pin plug or it was pulled out a bit. Outside of that its a crapshoot.

Did you get a bios beep after bios ran its checks. If not what is your stop code . Assuming you have an led showing codes or led check. Sorry just not familiar with Gigabyte.

To answer all questions,

I have reconstructed the entire PC, pulled out the battery for a CMOS reset, tried the original stock cooler, tried two different graphics cards, there is no LED error code screen, and listened with headphones for error beeps (without hearing any) with no luck.

Highly unlikely, I would suggest checking if the CPU itself is placed correctly, reattach the cooler and work from there.

Is it a possibility that the motherboard was somehow hit with static electricity? I don't really see myself building static electricity while standing on tile floor with rubber soled shoes and leaning my elbows onto the edges of my case though. I'll try and take off the back side of the case and see if any funny business is occurring on that end. Gah.

Are you implying that you're having a similar issue?
If so I would advise you to start your own thread, give specifics to the problem and the parts you are working with. You'll stand a better chance of getting some assistance this way

Back