• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation for a new video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GuItArMaN8373

Registered
I was looking for some recommendations for good video cards.

I currently have an old ATI RADEON 9200, but I deffinately need an upgrade to somthing better, so I can play games such as F.E.A.R. , RCT3, BF2, etc. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop, if that helps u get an understanding of what would work for me. I can post a dxdiag log if u want also. In all, I was hoping to spend $300 or less, for everything I might need. If you need any more info. , just ask.

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah it is AGP, and I hear that the old, but still good, X850s are going quite cheap, don't know if that includes the AGP ones though.

To start off you should give this thread a read, if you have any further questions feel free to ask. :)

I would say ya, go for an x850, but what type of agp is it? 1x, 2x, 4x, or 8x? Im sure it doesn't matter though

It does depend on your CPU, because if it is an Older one, it could be a bottle neck.

For an AGP card I would Recommend a Geforce 6800GS, I love the Price/Peformance ratio on this. The 7800GS, would be best but is out of your Price range :p
Or if you absolutelly need to go AMD/ATI, go with the Radeon X850.

I would never recommend the x850pro at that price. The x850pro was an awesome way to go when they were around 120 shipped but at 155 shipped you are stepping into the 6800gs range.

also a 12 pipe r480 should be about the same, performance wise, as a 16 pipe r420 at stock speeds.

Also could the OP post his motherboard? That would help us determine if it will work with these cards, most likely it will but it is worth checking, you dont want to get a card that wont work in your system.

Here's some extra info.

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 4600i
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM

Card name: Diamond S80 128MB DDR Radeon 9200 SE AGP
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9200 SE AGP (0x5964)

GuItArMaN8373 said:
Here's some extra info.

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 4600i
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM

Card name: Diamond S80 128MB DDR Radeon 9200 SE AGP
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9200 SE AGP (0x5964)

id say the x850pro and you deff need more ram

You could get any agp card to work then that you are looking at. However dells use proprietary PSUs that may not have the juice to power some of these cards. I cant really find any info on the psu, without digging to deap, that is in it so can you snap a pic of the label on the psu?

srry, no luck with the pics. Yeah, I pretty much figured i'd be in trouble, with this damn dell. Should I just buy a new motherboard and video card?

I wouldnt bother with upgrading the mobo or psu for an older system. You would prob be fine with some of these cards but then again I have no clue what psu you have in there. Just to be safe you might want to get a 7600gs. It wont have the same performace as the others but overall you would be safer running it as it draws less power.

In my opinion, even though the CPU is quite slow for today's standards, should still be fine. The RAM is killing you though, 512MB is not enough. For about $40 or so you could get another stick. If the PSU is at least 350W, you should be fine, too, but check if you have some power cables left in the case. If you don't want to replace the whole thing, I'd go with 6800GS or maybe something else in a $100-$150 range. I wouldn't spend too much though, you might later regret it.

good point I didnt notice that he posted his memory specs as well as I was only looking for mobo info. If you want to game you should at least have a gig.

Can you look at the psu and right down the specs and who made it, specifically the amprige on the 12v line? That is all that we need to know for figuring out what this thing can power.

k thx. Yeah i'll get those specs in by tomorrow, i have a few things to do now before going to bed.

This is what I had a co-worker of mine who had the same computer (dell 4600) with that same video card. He wanted to play oblivion at higher settings compared to his current low, I think he is now playing on high, not sure though

Sell the computer to someone for like $550
Bought a 3200 venice+ mobo when newegg had the cpu+mobo for $100
x850xt pcie when they were $90
1GB ram-$100
case + psu-$90
hard drive-$50
DVD/CD-$20
and a 19" hanns g when they were $120...i think that was right

I think that is everything, so that all adds up to $570 I think, so his upgrade costed him $20 + shipping costs, which leaves him open to upgrade to dual core and he has a better gaming cpu compared to his old pent 4 2.8ghz And he got a much larger lcd moniter

LOL I did almost exactly that. I sold my old 2.8C @ 3.3 w/ a 6800nu 16/6 for 500 and then bought the acer computer in the cyber deal section for $145 and put a $145 woot 7900gs and added a gig of ram that I had laying around. Thats more then 200 bucks in my pocket.

This is always a good option, sell your old rig I mean, but not everyone can suddenly do that at the drop of a hat.

Back