• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building gaming PC with Radeon RX 580 4GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Night44

Registered
Looking for recommendations on just an amd cpu/motherboard combo if possible, 16gb memory, and case.
I have a 850w psu and a evo 860 1tb sata ssd. I've been looking at a ryzen 5600x. I was hoping to get one below $300. Do I even need a 5600x? I want to play games like Far Cry 6, Ark survival, and others.
I will eventually upgrade my video card,and ssd. I'm not an overclocker. Monitor is 720p. Budget $600 - $700.
Thank you,

Night

Wow! First time I haven't gotten an answer in overclockers forums.

Looking for recommendations on just an amd cpu/motherboard combo if possible, 16gb memory, and case.
I have a 850w psu and a evo 860 1tb sata ssd. I've been looking at a ryzen 5600x. I was hoping to get one below $300. Do I even need a 5600x? I want to play games like Far Cry 6, Ark survival, and others.
I will eventually upgrade my video card,and ssd. I'm not an overclocker. Monitor is 720p. Budget $600 - $700.
Thank you,

Night
720p? Yikes! You need a lot of CPU to get the most out of your system. 720p, even with an EX 580 is a CPU bound resolution.

I wouldn't go less than a 6 core / 12 thread system today (like the 5600X - $310). Maybe a Gigabyte Aorus Pro ~$180 on sale... and 2x8 or 2x16GB of DDR4 3200-2600 CL16 RAM would be a sweetspot at that budget and AMD.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b55...re=b550-_-13-145-271-_-Product&quicklink=true
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232748

EDIT: THere are also affordable Intel products that perform just as well at similar price points.

You can use a less expensive motherboard as pointed out above... though the budget, even at the low end, allows for better/more features. For mobos, you can't go wrong most any at that ~$200 price point. You don't overclock, so you don't need a super mobo... just one that has the features you need and want.

Thank you. Looks like I'm on the right track. I didn't think I would need 32GB of RAM. I would love to shop at a Micro Center. Closest one is 3 hours away. That micro ATX looks good. Can't wait to get a new pc. I've heard so many horror stories about Newegg so I have been ignoring them.

Yikes is right LOL. I've been checking out monitors. At least 1080p. I'll get 1440 if I can find a good one on sale. Maybe I can get one for a Xmas present lol. What do you think about the mobos linked above? I could add more to the budget though I'm trying to save it for a vid card and ssd later. What do you think about the cooler that comes with 5800x? This will give me some upgradability room for later correct? Links that both of you gave me are perfect. I just need to research a case and I'll be good to go. Can't wait. Thanks

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

The only reason I don't overclock is because if I fried something I couldn't afford to replace it. Otherwise it sounds like fun. I would love to tinker with my PC and see how far I could push it.

Thank you,

Night

In my sig you'll see my RX 570 4GB being used in an i5-10400/MSI mATX H410 setup with 32GB of memory. Runs cool and quiet, as the MSI H410 enforces the 65W TDP. Only paid $200 for the CPU/Motherboard combo at Microcenter. I also picked up an open box, 32" 1440p, 75 Hz, FreeSync monitor for under $150, just lucky on that one. Not the best for text, but fine for gaming.

At my microcenter you can still pick up an i5-11400/B560 combo for under $300 as a budget option; the i5-10400/H510 combo is under $250. The newer Rocket Lake i5-11400 has a better IPC than the Comet Lake i5-10400 I have, and both are 6C/12T. So the the price of the Ryzen 5 5600X alone, you can get the CPU and motherboard.

I appreciate the info. I wish there was a Micro Center closer. 6 hour round trip is too much.

Bought the Gskill memory for $119 and the ryzen 5600x for $289. Just need a motherboard, bigger fans, and thermal paste. I think I'll use the same case. It's atx.

The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI is on sale through today. Nice board with good power delivery & I've been happy with it. You might also be able to find a good deal on a B550 ATX or mATX right now @ newegg.

What kind of fans (92mm, 120mm, 140mm) are you looking to get? I'm guessing these are for the case & not for a rad or heatsink?

I've been looking at some aorus boards. The Gigabyte board I have has been great. I don't have to have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, but if it's on sale it doesn't matter. Yes, the fans are for the case. There are two 120mm fans in it now, along with the exhaust. 1 in front and one on the side. I had forgotten they were 120's. There is a place for another fan on the side. The first side fan didn't work very long. So I'm only using the one in the front and the one in the back. Pin on plug plulled out. Flimsy case. It's served me well since 2009. XION Gaming Series https://www.newegg.com/black-with-b...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-11-208-030-_-11302021

I like the Arctic F12 PWM case fans. No RGB or LED bling, but good quiet airflow. Others should be able to recommend RGB fans if that's what you're looking to get.

Back