• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MTG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used to play it, and played it a bit last year (about 2 days). It's a fun game but involves to much money rather then just skill for my likings.

Yeah I used to play.. But they change so much monthly or whatever now a days.. have to keep forking out money to keep up.. like what tenchi said... anndd my skills too were not that great.. I had a half decent goblin deck back in the day which by now is probably obolete by a lot.

Used to play Magic back in highschool. Dropped it 8 years ago. It just stopped being fun. Now I pick it up w/ friends and I don't know what's going on. They've mutated the rules into something completely not fun.

I have (re)taken up the Legend of the Five Rings CCG, and play often w/ a few friends of mine. The constantly evolving storyline and interesting personalities, along with a very rigid combat system make it much better than Magic IMO.

Man, I used to play the hell out of magic. Friday and Saturday night tournaments all around the Houston Area; Bam's was my favorite, though. (In case any of you are Houston-Area) But yeah, I quit a while ago also; having to make a new Tier 2 deck every few months just got way too expensive, couldn't keep up with it. Tier 1 is still fun though, I like playing whenever I get together with my old friends. And drafts are great if everyone wants to pitch in a few bucks, kind of eliminates the whole money > skill thing, because everyone just takes what they can get, and that's an entire skill in and of itself.

Used to play pro tour events. Stopped playing when I started college due to a lack of time. (engineering has a way of doing that) I still have my cards. Since it is so expensive to maintain a good T2 deck, I play in random drafts with friends and 5-color now. I am still a few cards short of the power 9 in my 5-color...maybe some day I will try to get a lotus and random moxs.

I used to play way way back in the day 5+ years ago. Anyways It was fun and me and my friends enjoyed it, but it was just to costly. I did have a great sneak attack deck+red instant damage deck.

I had a great combo deck w/ red/black. Shocker + Fire Whip + Megrim.

Break out a Megrim or two (Whenever an opponent discards a card, he takes two damage), then drop down a Shocker (If Shocker damages an opponent, he discards his hand and draws a new one of the same size) then put a Fire Whip on it (Tap Enchanted Creature to have the creature deal one damage to target opponent). Boom! Hand gone! 14+ damage in one shot! I could also have a game ender if I broke out the Wheel of Fortune and used Fork on it, if I had a Megrim in play.

It was wicked sick when it worked, but there were too many cards required for the combo to be effectively pulled off every time. I should've turned it into a straight Grind deck, but by that time I wasn't playing anymore.

I used to play also. Had a couple killer decks too. I had a really killer spectrum Sliver deck (all colors speed deck), and I also had a really good tri color Black/Blue/Red steal and resurrect deck. I still have them all in binders in my closet, and the decks are in little protective sleeves.

/sigh... ahhh... the nerd-dom

If some of you are still interested in CCGs, I would definately suggest checking out Legend of the Five Rings.

www.l5r.com

It's incredibly detailed and story driven. Actual storyline arcs are driven by players in tournaments, and can change depending on which clan wins a tournament.

Oni said:
If some of you are still interested in CCGs, I would definately suggest checking out Legend of the Five Rings.

www.l5r.com

It's incredibly detailed and story driven. Actual storyline arcs are driven by players in tournaments, and can change depending on which clan wins a tournament.
sounds fun, just not willing to spend money on things like that. As they say you never grow out of toys, just the older you get, more expensive they become. :)

Yup, I used to play until they fubared the rules, sometime after the judgement expansion imo.

But I used to have about 2-3 thousand cards, and a extremely beefy red/green growth deck, I had that baby tuned to be like a freakin tank on a rampage :D

But I gave all my cards away to a close friend when he went to the navy. Last I talked to him, his ship plays activly with all those cards :D

Back