• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sure is quiet over here now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
no i highly doubt thats the solution ....

AMD needs to step it up a few notches ..

intel has been working super hard on getting a "conroe" in their hand... JOB well done !!

and yes i am a amd fan (no not fanboy) ... hopefully while amd was pushing the market they werent sleeping on the other side of things... seemed to me like intel didnt care too much about amd's advantage they had... as they soon knew what was to come ... hopefully amd anticipated that ...

ive been reading about qaud cores... amd better have it all together during this venture ...

Xtreme Barton said:
ive been reading about qaud cores... amd better have it all together during this venture ...

they sure better... or atleast i hope haha.

My status past 6 years or so

Intel>Intel>Intel>AMD>AMD>AMD

haha i think im on my way back through the cycle...Intel here i come!

Well after quite some time Intel is back on top - congrats to them.
Now lets just see how long will they stay on top.
Will amd need same number of attempts (number of cpus released) to get to the top as intel needed; well lets wait and see, time will tell.

I swtiched to AMD years back when I baught my first Athlon 750Mhz Slot 1 chip and WCed it. Have never looked back. Intel may have the fastest chips right now and may very well for a while to come, but really I dont need that speed. With the resolution I play games in and my current system I can play any game just as well as any core2 system. Benches are not everything.

I am happy with AMD and dont mind them being slower at the moment, it doesnt matter with what I do.

There is really only a couple of thing that would make me go back to Intel and those would be AMD going out of business or stopping their Desktop chip manufacturing, neither of which I can see happening.

i dont see the huge deal over the conroe... yes, it's a huge overclocker, but besides that, what makes it so good? i see people spouting it's 30-70% faster... i havent seen any benchmarks that show it is so amazingly fast, the last review i read was E6300 vx X2 3800, it wasn't no 30% faster, over clocked maybe, but it's still not fast enough to justify costing ~$60 more. So i'm not going to go jumping to the gun on the "amazing conroe", anyone have any reputable reviews with the X6800 vs FX62? stock and overclocked?

I would have went conroe on my last upgrade, but I was already getting a new mb, cpu and video card. I didn't want to have to upgrade on RAM too....

But I'm still happy with my purchase. I can play pretty much all games maxed out, so no complaints here :)

AMD 4 LIFE! :thup:

...or at least until they go out of business, which is hopefully never. :D

It'll go back and forth for the rest of time (well, CPU time anyways :D). One company will be on top and people will flock over to them and then the other side will gain the upper hand and people will flock back over.

On a side note, people's true colors come out when things change. Its certainly interesting sitting back and watching all the clout and backpedaling that comes from some members ;).

Lol.. Indeed it is. I find all the yelling and spouting off entertaining though. I too am not all that convinced that conroe is the end all be all that people are saying.
Yes, it overclocks like crack in a crack-ho, but stock, the differences are not as dramatic as were expected, and the prices make them a bit less desirable.

That being said, my next build will be a conroe, for a friend, just for fun, but I will still run my 939 and AM2 setups, as they do quite well for what I need. You could probably consider them overkill..

icedragn said:
i dont see the huge deal over the conroe... yes, it's a huge overclocker, but besides that, what makes it so good? i see people spouting it's 30-70% faster... i havent seen any benchmarks that show it is so amazingly fast, the last review i read was E6300 vx X2 3800, it wasn't no 30% faster, over clocked maybe, but it's still not fast enough to justify costing ~$60 more. So i'm not going to go jumping to the gun on the "amazing conroe", anyone have any reputable reviews with the X6800 vs FX62? stock and overclocked?

what is the difference with them both oc'ed to their max ?? :D

i think thats the point

icedragn said:

You don't have to look very hard. There might be reputable reviews written on the tiles of your shower. Check the cereal boxes... The falling leaves maybe?

Toms Hardware... Andatech... Those people reputable enough? The hundreds of millions of comparisons at Xtremesystems.com... Reputable enoug? Even PC Magazine. EVERYWHERE.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/four_cores_on_the_rampage/page8.html

And you don't need an X6800 either. Even my E6400 is faster at stock at some things than an FX62.

I can output 5 mins worth of video in 50 seconds now.

FIFTY SECONDS.

It's alright to be an AMD fan, but Ric Flair said it best:

"RONNY GARVIN! I know you always sat around dreaming about one day becoming the champ... and you know what? It's nice to dream... But then there's this little thing called 'REALITY'. And the reality is CUSTOM MADE clothes, ROLEX watches, a 400FSB overclock on a 200 dollar processor that makes an FX62 look like a pentium III, any woman you want, and 5 mins worth of high resolution video in 50 seconds. WOOOOOOOO!"

SuperPi 1M in 36 secs? I remember that...

Attachments

• 450 Club2.JPG
    450 Club2.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 242
Thats what i thought, the conroe (x6800) vs the fx62 isn't as fast as people say, it's only, on average around 15% quicker in the 3d scene, however i imagine it might be a lot quicker in the video scene, as stated above, but intel has always gotten better scores for multimedia, i don't know why, maybe the quad fsb?

icedragn said:
Thats what i thought, the conroe (x6800) vs the fx62 isn't as fast as people say, it's only, on average around 15% quicker in the 3d scene, however i imagine it might be a lot quicker in the video scene, as stated above, but intel has always gotten better scores for multimedia, i don't know why, maybe the quad fsb?

That would be my bet.

^^^

I don't see why that would make a difference since Intel's memory bandwidth has been consistently pwn'd by AMD. :D

If the OP noticed, the forums as a whole have been a bit slow of late. We tend to have such periods every year. Things will pick up soon enough. :)

Back