• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATiTools: Why in Beta for so long?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Hey all,

Why has ATiTool been in beta for nearly forever? Did they stop working on it or something, or are they just extremely slow on working on it?

I never really liked AtiTool, I use ATI Tray Tools myself, but I was still wondering what's up w/ ATiTools.

Do you have any idea how many Beta's W1zzard has released? You won't find a more active guy doing software for ATI than W1zzard. Serious ATI overclocking would be nowhere without his work. The reason they are still Beta is overclocking and everything else that came along with X1000 series cards became much more complicated with clock switching and service control. He also writes good software, he won't take it out of Beta until he is satisifed it works properly and bug reports are minimal. And he does all this in his spare time to learn, he won't even take money for his efforts and suggests you donate it to charity. I can't think of a better guy to be working on this. How much time would you put into something you were not getting paid for?

Contrast that with Tray Tools which wouldn't even overclock X1000 series until very recently, that should tell you something. I'm not knocking the developer, but if we had to wait close to 8 months to really overclock X1000 alot of guys would be very unhappy. Besides if your on a 9800 why do you need a new version? .024 works perfectly on that card.

ATI Tool is the only ATI overclocking tool I like. It has lots of options to setup the card exactly how I like it. I also has a simple, no nonsense interface (unlike CCC). Which is why I use Omega drivers...

Best thing to do is to test out all the new betas he gives out and post your problems with it so he can review and better understand how to fix it. :)

El<(')>Maxi said:
Do you have any idea how many Beta's W1zzard has released? You won't find a more active guy doing software for ATI than W1zzard. Serious ATI overclocking would be nowhere without his work. The reason they are still Beta is overclocking and everything else that came along with X1000 series cards became much more complicated with clock switching and service control. He also writes good software, he won't take it out of Beta until he is satisifed it works properly and bug reports are minimal. And he does all this in his spare time to learn, he won't even take money for his efforts and suggests you donate it to charity. I can't think of a better guy to be working on this. How much time would you put into something you were not getting paid for?

Contrast that with Tray Tools which wouldn't even overclock X1000 series until very recently, that should tell you something. I'm not knocking the developer, but if we had to wait close to 8 months to really overclock X1000 alot of guys would be very unhappy. Besides if your on a 9800 why do you need a new version? .024 works perfectly on that card.

Thanks a BUNCH El Maxi! I had no idea!

I've had some odd problems in the past when OCing with it, but it could have just been me or something. It's great to know he works so hard on ATItool, I'll definately check it out soon!

NP jcw, I hope I didn't come off too rough :) I have alot of respect for W1zzard thats all. Did you know he is the guy who created the softmod for 9500's way back, that was a huge craze in itself.

El<(')>Maxi said:
NP jcw, I hope I didn't come off too rough :) I have alot of respect for W1zzard thats all. Did you know he is the guy who created the softmod for 9500's way back, that was a huge craze in itself.

It was a bit strong, but that's OK because you do seem like you respect and admire him alot, so I understand.

And wow, creating the 9500's softmod is also very impressive, I wasn't into computers at the time, but still, wow.

Back