• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple questions about my 805 to newer core 2 duo chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

Does my motherboard supports the new Core 2 Duo chip? Which chip do you think has the best value? I was looking at the E6300 what do you think? I also do hope these chips OC a lot better than my current old school 805. I've seen very good results from most of you guys and that makes me really want to upgrade. lol sorry guys I haven't been reading up on these new stuffs lately. Are these Core 2 Duo better than those AMD dual cores? I assume they are at least A LOT better than my current old school dual core right? Thanks for any replies

no, you would need a new mobo. you can get a gigabyte s3 from newegg right now for like $90 tho.

a e6300 like mine would so badly beat up on your 805 its not even funny. :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
no, you would need a new mobo. you can get a gigabyte s3 from newegg right now for like $90 tho.

a e6300 like mine would so badly beat up on your 805 its not even funny. :D

I assume gigabyte s3 is a great board that can OC very well right now. How can I tell E6300 supports which kind of mobos? The chipset? I might upgrade soon because I hated my motherboard anyways :p

basically, with a e6300 you will want to shop for a 965 chipset board. these boards will usually do 500fsb, haven't seen much from the s3 yet tho. the price is right, and even if you only get 450fsb outta it, you'd still be looking at 7x450=3150mhz. pretty sweet.

other alternatives are the gigabyte ds3, asus p5b or p5b-e. there are others like the gigabyte dq6 and ds4 and asus p5b-deluxe, but they are decidedly pricier.

keep in mind, with the 965 chipset, there are no downward deviders for your ram, so you need to get rams that can keep up with the fsb you are aiming for. if you are aiming for 400fsb=2800mhz, then you need ram that can run ddr2-800. if you wanna squeeze 500fsb=3500mhz, then you need ram that will run ddr2-1000.

if you want to stick with your current memory, maybe a e6400 would be a wiser choice, as it has a 8x multi, and would not need such fast ram to hit higher speeds. example, 8x400=3200mhz, ram that will run ddr2-800 would be nice.

how fast can you run your memory now?

Last edited:
As a fellow DS3 owner with an 805 on it, I can say the board is definitely worth every penny. If you are overclocking the FSB a lot (which you will do with the e6300 as hUMANbEATbOX said), I'd seriously consider a 3rd party chipset cooler or watercooling for the whole shabang, as some people remember I posted a month or so ago about literally burning my fingers when I touched the NB heatsink. I found a decent solution of propping a fan on my video card so that it blows onto the NB, but that shorted out my video card...in otherwords, the DS3 ROCKS, just cool the NB a little better.

oh, and thd DS3 is one of the only sub $200 boards which support quad-cores, which makes it a very good choice for future-upgrades.

natewildes said:
oh, and thd DS3 is one of the only sub $200 boards which support quad-cores, which makes it a very good choice for future-upgrades.

The DS3 supports quad cores? WOOHOOOOOO!

And I gave up on cooling the northbridge. I bought a very cute little fan when I was in sweden, has a cool blue light to it and everything. But screw it! Came with a heatsink already attached and TAPE (or some sort of adhesive) on the bottom of the heatsink that I didn't feel like scraping off. I could take the fan off the heatsink and screw it onto the NB heatsink, but there goes my warranty (and knowing gigabyte that may come in handy...) I could take the NB heatsink off altogether and put the new one on, but gigabyte's kinda using non-standard holes, so how to keep the damned thing down?

Eventually I just said "screw it" and went straight up to 520FSB with no fan at all.

rainless said:
Eventually I just said "screw it" and went straight up to 520FSB with no fan at all.

Then when this chipset fries you can put the fan on the next one.

:bang head

hUMANbEATbOX said:
basically, with a e6300 you will want to shop for a 965 chipset board. these boards will usually do 500fsb, haven't seen much from the s3 yet tho. the price is right, and even if you only get 450fsb outta it, you'd still be looking at 7x450=3150mhz. pretty sweet.

other alternatives are the gigabyte ds3, asus p5b or p5b-e. there are others like the gigabyte dq6 and ds4 and asus p5b-deluxe, but they are decidedly pricier.

keep in mind, with the 965 chipset, there are no downward deviders for your ram, so you need to get rams that can keep up with the fsb you are aiming for. if you are aiming for 400fsb=2800mhz, then you need ram that can run ddr2-800. if you wanna squeeze 500fsb=3500mhz, then you need ram that will run ddr2-1000.

if you want to stick with your current memory, maybe a e6400 would be a wiser choice, as it has a 8x multi, and would not need such fast ram to hit higher speeds. example, 8x400=3200mhz, ram that will run ddr2-800 would be nice.

how fast can you run your memory now?

I dont know if my memory supports up to 800 or not..because I am running everything at stock right now..because my comp has been crashing..and my mobo just sucks..can't OC that well..I used to run something like 700 on it I think..

might as well find out,

my friends e6400 + a ds3 EASILY overclocked to 3.0 ghz without any trouble what so ever. that ds3 hit 400 FSB without even a sweet (well, it was a bit hotter than stock, but hey, it works nicely with out any fan on it.

untill i found out his ram is DOA. it can barely run at ddr2-740, i think we're going to RMA it soon and really see how far this CPU can go.

so if it wasn't for the bad ram. i think this chip could easily hit 3.2 no problems. (on stock btw)

the Ds3 is a great board.

Back