• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dreamhost.com 9th birthday

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oxalic32

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html

1. It's our birthday? Double the bandwidth, tenify the disk!

So, what feature WAS I alluding to last month anyway? Could it that it's
now been NINE years since we registered dreamhost.com, and to celebrate
we've upped everybody's disk and bandwidth, AGAIN, wellll beyond the
realm of possible use: up to TEN times the disk (including growth rate)
and at LEAST double the bandwidth (also including weekly growth rate)!

And as usual, all existing customers get it too, and you don't even have
to do anything to upgrade. It's ... already ... happened.

Anyway, that puts us at, um. Er. I'm not sure. A lot. Check it out:

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html

But WAIT! Is that a new site design for dreamhost.com I see? And what's
that on the main page? Pictures of employees and RSS feeds? GRADIENTS?

Amazing! What version of the web would you even CONSIDER a site like
this? It's gotta be more than 1.5, possibly even 1.9..

This is some kind of killer upgrade, for sure. Possibly even SUPER.

And for those of you who say, "SCREW all the features, ALL I *really*
want is website, email, and database stability!" I say, "You are smart."

I jumped on it

$20 for a YEAR of 200GB 2TB transfer hosting that increases weekly...PLUS a free domain?????? I know ill never use that much but hot damn...

I just got the newsletter and when I saw the increase I'm like :eek: How can they do that? Jeeze! I have been really pleased with them but I wonder how they can keep this up.

I don't think many of their clients use even a fraction of the bandwidth. Plus there is a rule about 60 minutes of cpu time a month or some such nonsense that pretty much garuntees that you won't use it all.

eaglescouter said:
This seems like an insane amount of bandwidth and storage, but some users report that the hosted sites are too slow for professional useage.

I'm not sure if this applies, but DH has recently had a long spout of problems which slowed things down considerably. Addressed in the newletter, they say things have now been rectified.

They took away the 60 minute CPU time limit. But they do reserve the right to ask you to move to a dedicated server if you are using what they think to be too much time.

dano said:
I jumped on it

$20 for a YEAR of 200GB 2TB transfer hosting that increases weekly...PLUS a free domain?????? I know ill never use that much but hot damn...

20 per month for a year, its basicly a marketing scam :), but not really, they want to make it look good, but you just gotta do the math. for the 200gb plan its 10 x 12 = ~ 120, probably gonna charge you tax too.

this is a very tempting deal.. but does any know about the reliablity of this host? is it really slow, will they bankrupt a couple of months after they get my money? ;)

Korndog said:
20 per month for a year, its basicly a marketing scam :), but not really, they want to make it look good, but you just gotta do the math. for the 200gb plan its 10 x 12 = ~ 120, probably gonna charge you tax too.

this is a very tempting deal.. but does any know about the reliablity of this host? is it really slow, will they bankrupt a couple of months after they get my money? ;)

i have been using them for about 6 months now i jumped in for the 9.95 deal for a year with free domain. cant beat it. o and no taxes either.

Korndog said:

200GB plan $9.95 per month x 12 = $119.4 - $99 = $20.4 for one year.

Sign up for any of our hosting plans TODAY using either the one or two-year prepay option and use the promo code "9999". You'll get an INSTANT discount of $99.99 off your bill!

$20.40 for one year, with a domain is great. Most hosts charge $10/yr per domain. It's practically $10.40 a year. For the first year. I dont see how you think its a marketing scam.

They've been going for 9 years. I get speeds of 300kbs-1000kbs download. Downtime is generally minimal, and i dont notice it.

Korndog said:

Well they are celebrating their ninth year in operation. :) That being said, I've been using them for coming up on a year now and I've enjoyed steady hosting and fast and friendly customer service. There have been a few outages from time to time, but for personal use it's worked out very well so far.

Of special note is the general way they present themselves. They strike me as a fast-working, customer-centric company and they have a great sense of humor (or at least the folks do who write the public content)

There's a new code, look around on google for it (I found it in 30 seconds when I was registering a friend not too long ago).

I'm going on 2 years of using them to host numerous sites and a forum off the same account. The minor issues they had a few months ago were just that, minor and very short-lived.

omg..
i thought the credit would go after you paided the 120 so you could get a discount on your second year. doesn't happen often, but i'm glad i was wrong :D yay, domain shopping spree!

Dreamhost has been very good to me. I admit, sometimes during peak hours my page is a bit slow...

Back