• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutdowns :bang head

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Precision

3Dmark Team Member
Ok i was having a problem with shutdowns durring load. I thought it was my PSU because the 12V was jumping from 12.12 to 12.49. (which told me and what they told me at OCZ that was not good) So i send it back and up to 700W from 600W and will just sell the new 600W they send back on Ebay. ANYWAYS.. My computer was just shutting OFF. Not rebooting shutting down. Thought it was my PSU. NOPE! I get my new one today and find out that is NOT the problem. So i start playing around. I find out that as long as I don't change the voltage to my CPU it is fine. (which means no OCing, not much anyway) So i got a new board comming, ASUS A8N32 SLI deluxe. I wanted to know what the chances are that this is a bunk processor? Also, anyone who has any experience with this board, what they think of it. I did see some bad things about running a 7950GX2 which i have. But from what I saw at Newegg, this was mostly because of not being able to access the 2 regular PCI slots that are there. Plus ALOT of the people posting comments at newegg have NO IDEA what they are talking about(which i do not need the PCI slots there anyways) I only use one, and there is one at the bottom for my X-FI card. SO..... Does anyone think this could be my processor? Or is it most likely a bad voltage regulator of some kind in the board? Will be greatful for any feedback on these things

Last edited:
If you want to know if it could be, yes, it could be. So don't be super suprised if that is the problem, but it could be some other problem too.

did you test the PSU with a multimeter? software monitoring is notoriously bad. Possibly the CPU is overheating, try to reapply TIM, after you reseat the Processor. Also check your connections.

Other then that, next suggestion would be to strip out everything excluding the PSU, MB, CPU, GPU and OS drive. If it boots then, add in one thing and try it again. Keep adding until it goes bonkers and then remove the last added item and retry it.

It boots up. It will run all day as long as I dont push the machine. Seems like its doing it more often now than it did though. New board should be here in a few hours. Guess ill throw that in. Try to get a little OC out of it and go from there.

You wanted an opinion on the A8N32 - I like it! You couldn't ask for more settings to play with and it's been very consistent for me over the past five months. There are only two gotcha's that I've found so far:

1. You have to jump through a hoop to get the vCore above 1.425-1.45v, but I gather you've already read that in the guide thread. I should also point out the vCore will drop 0.02v per core under load - a minor nag but very consistent. As far as I could tell it didn't hurt my 2.8 GHz OC. :)

2. IF you happen to go with WC you will need to get creative about cooling the chipset radiator. That board has heatpipes for the chipsets and as long as you're on air everything is fine. But if you're pushing the FSB on WC you'll need more than the included fan.

Before you install it you might want to consider taking off the metal plates over the chipsets and applying Ceramique instead of the stock pad. I haven't done it but a few have and are showing drops in their MB temps. Just a thought and not required by any means.

Overall I think you'll like the new board - let us know if it solves your problem ...

Make sure the cool and quiet is off. I tried to turn that on with my PC OC'd and it shut off as soon as windows loaded.

The small one listed >>HERE<< In the wonderful guide he made. :D I have the A8n SLI Premium thinking the BIOS wouldn't look too much different. Well, from what he shows there. I would not have touched too much of anything without reading that first :D GJ on that BTW great job :D

QuietIce said:
IF you happen to go with WC you will need to get creative about cooling the chipset radiator. That board has heatpipes for the chipsets and as long as you're on air everything is fine. But if you're pushing the FSB on WC you'll need more than the included fan.

I'm not THAT hard core of an OCer. Water cooling way too complicated and way too expensive. As long as i can get 2.8 out of my 4800 I'll be happy. One more stupid thing before this gets here. I'm an running an ASUS A8N SLI Premium now with same chipset and such. I just formatted a few weeks ago (less than a month) Do you think it's needed? BTW it just got at the door so I am going to get started real soon.

I only managed 2.7 on the stock cooler and couldn't test Prime95x2 b/c of the heat so I hope you've got a better solution than stock!

Uh, I'm not sure what you were trying to ask there - reinstall Windows or something? Shouldn't have to at all - but I suggest the K8 driver if you don't already have it.

You should upgrade the BIOS, though. The 1205 version has worked well for me (just be sure to disable the Silicon Image RAID driver :-/ ). Others have done well with the latest version, 13xx (whatever it is) and the Windows-based BIOS installer makes it easy.

Immortal_Hero said:
What hoop?
Having to enable "Over-voltage CPU" then setting the desired vCore -0.200v. Kind of a pain if you ask me.

Nevrsumr22 said:
Make sure the cool and quiet is off. I tried to turn that on with my PC OC'd and it shut off as soon as windows loaded.
CnQ can be used with an OC - I did it running 225x12 for ~3 weeks. But the OC can't demand more than ~1.5v or it won't work on the A8N32. Also, the RAM timings need to be set manually.

But you're right on the money to mention it - CnQ should always be disabled while testing ...

Last edited:
I would recomend the A8N32 Sli Deluxe to anyone. I personaly absolutly love the board. The chipset runs a bit hot (mine usualy stays around 42c) but if you use the fan (which is silent) and get a little air over the pipe, itll cool it right down.

The bios has tons of tweaking settings, and once you learn it it is very easy to navigate around.

Its a very very very stable board. I had to RMA it once because while my PC was down for a few weeks and i was in the hospital, the family moved it around and put it on a carpet, where it probably got staticaly shocked to death.

It also has full 16x SLI bandwitth, which is a must for future cards and quad sli. The cards now probably wont fill up the bus, but with quad sli and DX10, it most certainly will.

You wont be dissapointed :)

I like the board. But not the fact that have replace my PSU and Motherboard because fo this stupid problem I am having (still not fixed) Next step CPU. I know its not any of my drives. (accept maybe my main one) So there really is only 3 parts left CPU, Video Card, and My main Hard Drive.

QuietIce said:
Uh oh - I take it the old CPU in the new motherboard is still shutting down when it's under load? :eek:
Yes, and there is only 4 things it CAN be. Main hard drive,CPU,RAM (BTW i have same ram as you QuietIce and it's only like 2 months old) Video Card. But I am going to go with CPU since this problem started shortly after I installed it. If it was my video it should just crash to desktop from what i hear. RAM not sure about but from what i see of it. It's awesome RAM and it dieing that fast wouldn't make sence to me. And if it was my main Hard Drive why would it just shut off and not just reboot...

What would you guys do next?

P.S. I ordered a new 4800 (which broke me)But I am guessing you guys would try this next (hopefully) But this one i can still return for a replacement. And i don't want to be without my machine for like 2 weeks till they get this one and send out a new one. So when i get the new one ill just sell it on Ebay or something as NEW cause it will be :D

Precision said:
It boots up. It will run all day as long as I dont push the machine. Seems like its doing it more often now than it did though. New board should be here in a few hours. Guess ill throw that in. Try to get a little OC out of it and go from there.

Piece of advice. No matter how well seated the RAM LOOKS, take it out and try again anyway. Do it 2 or 3 times in fact. I installed the Zalman NB47J on my nForce4 and thought I wrecked it (tiny core+tall heatsink=chipped corners.) I spent only 5-10 minutes trying stuff. But I didn't take out the ram and reseat it "looks fine."
I was searching for new motherboards for an hour or so, went back down, took out one ram stick, same thing, took out both, put the other one in, it worked. Put the other in, still worked. Works fine now.

Do the same with everything else. Video card, CPU, all cables. If I did order a new board, I would have installed it, it would have worked and I would have been back in business, thinking I destroyed this board:bang head

Well i got the new board in. STILL no luck.9(which means if something is seated wrong it is seating wrong everytime i do it) Shuts down under load. Same thing its been doing as i replace every FREAKING PIECE! so check my last post above this and let me know what you guys think.

Sounds like C.O.P. is getting triggered. I suggest that you check the processor temperature when running Prime95.

Back