• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New XP's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Is it worth getting the 1900+ or should I wait for the 2000+ to come out? I would like to hit 2Ghz (without watercooling) so should I wait and when is it coming out???
I'm getting a Epox 8KHA+
Cheers!:D

Nick:burn:

personally i'd wait. Even if you don't decide to go with the 2000+ chip the 1900+ chip should be cheaper.

I would think it depends on what you've got now: if you're going from a 1.4 to a 1900+ I wouldn't think the extra speed is really worth the money yet. But if you have a 900 (or less) it probably would be.
I didn't get my first Athlon until the 1.3s were out- and even then I got a 900. That was my upgrade from a k62-450 and WOW! what a difference! Shortly after that I ran into a deal on a 1ghz/KT7A combo cheap and 'clocked it up to 1.4. Well, the difference between that 900@1068 and the [email protected] isn't much: I have to do the same thing on both at the same time to tell the difference!

If its for bragging rights, DO IT! (I'm in favor of bragging rights:D ) but if you want to get a big boost in visible performance you need to be 30% faster or more. My opinion.

BTW: I'm actually using that 450 right now- it is SLOW! But I don't want to slow down the crunchin' of my "farm"

oh lol in that case the 2000+ isn't an option. They won't be out until 1st quarter of next year. If you have the $$ go for the 1900+! Be sure to keep us updated too.

rogerdugans said:
I would think it depends on what you've got now: if you're going from a 1.4 to a 1900+ I wouldn't think the extra speed is really worth the money yet. But if you have a 900 (or less) it probably would be.
I didn't get my first Athlon until the 1.3s were out- and even then I got a 900. That was my upgrade from a k62-450 and WOW! what a difference! Shortly after that I ran into a deal on a 1ghz/KT7A combo cheap and 'clocked it up to 1.4. Well, the difference between that 900@1068 and the [email protected] isn't much: I have to do the same thing on both at the same time to tell the difference!

If its for bragging rights, DO IT! (I'm in favor of bragging rights:D ) but if you want to get a big boost in visible performance you need to be 30% faster or more. My opinion.

BTW: I'm actually using that 450 right now- it is SLOW! But I don't want to slow down the crunchin' of my "farm"

I am firm agreement of the Braggin rights :)
If money is no object buy the 1900 and the 2k. I will wait it out, but I have an 1800 so its easy for me to wait 2 mos. ;)

I can't wait that long without a PC!!!

Im using my mums (soon to be my 7 year old brothers) P Pro 200@240, I will get the 1900+, any ideas on whats the fasted cpu you could put in an epox 8kha+? (3ghz?)

Wheres a good place to get em as I want a real good oc, i mean 2ghz! (hopefully...it has been done) www.overclock.co.uk sells unlocked ones but i dont know if there any good,
I was thinking about ebuyer.com or overclockers.co.uk and remember I live in the UK!

P.S. Are you sure it isn't coming out till then? Will there be huge speed increases then? I mean I don't wanna get a 1900+ (1.6Ghz) and end up finding out that on the 1st Jan the 2000+ comes out then a week later a 2ghz one!!!

After all if thats going to happen then I can use that 1gig chip my mums getting ( I'll have to spend £20 for a 650 to keep her going) then buy the 2gig one? Is it worth it and will it support my Epox board?

I know its long but thanks for your feedback:)

Hammers look good what will they work on the Epox 8KHA+???
I mean if they do i'll probably wait, also do you know the highest CPU speed my board supports as well, I thought it would be about 3ghz....

Cheers,
Nick:cool:

the hammer is an entirely new architecture = new motherboards
... so the epox model you are referring to wont take the hammer
But the hammer isnt coming out very soon so i dont think that is an option as well
I dont know how high your motherboard goes
but i think the highest (recommended) speed it can take is the highest multiplier * 133

Oh well forget the hammers then, wouldn't a bios update help though? I mean some boards for the T-Bird can run Xp's...

Anyway I worked out that the highest the board could possibly go is 200*15 (dream on...) which is 3Ghz, 15*133 = 1.95Ghz.

Oh well I'll just get a 1900+ then, do you know what the fastest XP will be before the Hammers come out?

nick_cw said:
Oh well forget the hammers then, wouldn't a bios update help though? I mean some boards for the T-Bird can run Xp's...

Anyway I worked out that the highest the board could possibly go is 200*15 (dream on...) which is 3Ghz, 15*133 = 1.95Ghz.

Oh well I'll just get a 1900+ then, do you know what the fastest XP will be before the Hammers come out?

not sure on that but the plan so far i believe is up to 2100+

imho the big price difference between the top processor levels doesn't warrant the extra few mhz. i'd get a 1900+ in your possie. save on the processor and the 20 quid you'd have to spend on the 650 for your ma.

Back