• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800GT BIOS Question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryn

Hi guys! I'm just wondering, can I change the BIOS of a Palit 7800GT to an EVGA 7800GT BIOS? I'm planning to buy another 7800GT and I found a good deal with a Palit 7800GT. I know that you can SLI with different brands as long as it is of the same model but my problem is that the Palit 7800GT has 400/1000MHz (nvidia reference) speeds while my EVGA has 440/1070MHz.

Thanks in advance!

from my experience you cannot change the bios to have it be another manufacturer, this will give a id mismatch everytime and wont let you flash the bios. With new nvidia drivers it doesnt matter if the cards are different brands or different clocks, as long as the chip is the same. what will happen is that the 2nd card with the higher clocks when its put in and sli is enabled they will default to the slowest cards speed. so whats gonna happen is your evga card will be downclocked to the Palit cards speeds! Unless the Palit card can run the rated speeds of the Evga card, then if it can just flash the Palit card to the evga's speeds b4 running both cards in sli!

Oh ok I see. I found some article before that you can change a 7800GTX BIOS to a different manufacturer. I though it can be done with the 7800GT as well. Thanks for the reply!

Back