• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D830 Throttleing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satanspet

Registered
hey guys i have a HP m7170n which isn't really much of an HP n e more exppect for case and mobo (thumbs down on the mobo) in n e case i didnt like the stock cooler so i replaced it with a arctic freezer 7 ( present from GF figured it was no worse than stock, debatable now) now that i have it in and seated the multiplyer has gone from 15 to 14 stepping back my processor from 3GHZ a core to 2.8 which i know isn't much but enough to **** me off lol. i have been using everest to moniter temp. however with my mobo i dont know that it has a cpu sensor!!! the only options i can see for sensors are GPU, GPU ambient, Mobo, and AUX i just always assumed aux was cpu but reading more about the throttleing makes me think otherwise please help! i know the seating is just fine on the cooler and it is seated with arctic (whatever it is 5 i installed this a while ago :p).

thanks for n e thing u guys suggest :)

Chris

the cpu dropping from 15x to 14x is perfectly normal, it is referred to as EIST, a function that slows the cpu down when idle.

with your cpu it only drops 200mhz, but for a 3.8ghz p4, the drop can save a lot of power.

i'm not sure if your bios will let you, but enthusiast boards let you turn it off.

to see if you are actually throttleing (which this is NOT, i assure you), you need a program like throttle watch.

*edit* i think you meant a 930, and not a 830. the 830 runs at 2.66ghz, and does not support EIST, afaik. the 930 runs at 3ghz and does have EIST.

Satanspet said:
i am sure that its an 830 100% sure actually tho this isn't the issue thanks for ur insite do u think that the aux is the cpu temp i would love if it were :)

specs for the D830

http://www.windowsmarketplace.ca/Specs.aspx?itemId=146020
http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-14160.html

OOPS sorry, i was confusing it with the 805. never ever really hear about 830's anymore. :D

the 2nd site shows the EIST support for the 830 (again this isn't the issue in this thread :p lol)

i'm not sure what you mean? what is the issue then? if the multi is going from 15 to 14, that is EIST. throttleing does not actually change the clock speed of the cpu, it just shuts down parts of the cpu (you can only see this behaviour with a prog like throttle watch).

also, i doubt "aux" is the cpu reading. where are you seeing this? i think with that HP, the best you can do is in the BIOS, it MAY have a "PC Health" or "Monitor" type section, that would give you temps, but only idle temps. i'm not sure there are any progs in windows that will report proper temps on that HP mobo.

probably cuz they dont clock that well even with water cooling from what i have heard as compaired to the 805 which is a beast for OC

**** didnt read the 2nd part of ur reply... lol i mean do u think then that my mobo doesn't have cpu temp support?? :S thats rather odd from my experience

it could be that it doesn't have a sensor that can be read by a prog like MBM5. OEM computer companies like HP sometimes don't want people to know how hot their computers are running, because a lot of times, their stock cooling solutions plain suck. other times, because it is not a mobo that one could go and buy, off the shelf, a prog like MBM5 simply does not have the needed info to display the temps correctly.

what program did you use to read this "aux" temp? and what did it read?

and what temps???

i would totally disregard it...no way to say for sure what it monitors.

just download that throttlewatch program i linked, and if it doesn't throttle at 100% load on both cores (like when running orthos) then you will be just fine.

(notice that when running 100% load, your cpu jumps back up to 15x200=3ghz. check this with CPUZ).

right on the temp on the aux is about 48 ish on idle and about 56 or so under load

well, see it could be the cpu, it could also be the PWM, some boards have a sensor near the power circuitry....

the point is, it could very well be the cpu temp, it may not. it doesn't really matter if you aren't throttleing. :D

although i would ask, what temps did it show before the heatsink upgrade? if they were significantly more, i would say that yes it is the cpu temp. :)

lol they actually were lower when i first installed the cooler now they are marginally higher. i think this might be becuase of dust :S its a strech but definatly possible. it was 42 when i first put it on now 48 the stock was 46 ish all idles

Back