• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wii and IGN, who the heck is writing this stuff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

alright something stuck way out to me at something at IGN, every time i read something there i see osmething dumb as hell.

i am looking at IGNs Wii "wins and loses"

seccond page, first loss
a douche bag IGN writer said:
Loss: Decidedly Un-Mainstream $250 Price Tag and Expensive Controllers
For a console that was promised as "small, quiet and affordable," Wii will only debut at $50 less than the basic Xbox 360. But even that price point is deceptive, especially since the system ships with the multiplayer-centric Wii sports, but includes only one Wii remote and nunchuk. Buyers who want to enjoy Wii Sports Tennis for four will need to spend an extra $39.99 per Wii remote. Three Wii-motes will add another $120 to the $250 price tag for a grand total of $370. Don't get us wrong - even with all these accessories the Wii is still cheaper than a stripped PlayStation 3 - but when you tack on the cost of additional Wii-motes, there's simply no way Wii is "mass market friendly," as some Nintendo executives would have us believe.

first off $50 saved is $50 saved with supposedly a pack in sports game pretty basic but you get atleast a game with your Wii, do you get a game with a basic 360? and then theres the controllers. sure you buy 3 more wii controllers and it'll cost $120 but how many people are going to go out and buy 3 more controlers? the rich people thats who, or atleast the ones who are going to take this to parties and such, some one might need on average to buy 1 extra for a sibling or friend that comes over alot. and you know i guess Wii's $40 a controller is more in IGN land to $50 360 controllers, Wii controlers are wireless so whats the big woop?

this is how i see it

1 Wii + 3 Controllers + 1 Good Game = ~$410
I dont know about memory cards for wii or even if theyre gonna use em.

1 Basic 360 + 3 Controllers + 1 Good Game = ~$490

both are +/- a few bucks.

i donno, i had to rant about it nd the Gaming forum i use is down, again.
Consoles is what i do in my spare time, i collect, i range from Pong to PS2 and for some reason (go fig) stuff like this gets on my nerves

From my point of view, IGN has detached itself from being a spokeperson for the gamer individual and has become a corporate entity that's driven by money and not passion, so who cares what they say.

Last edited:
UnrealAlex said:
From my point of view, IGN has detached itself from being a spokeperson for the gamer individual and has become a corporate entity that's driven by money and not passion, so who cares what they say.

So very true.... I get most of my stuff from gamespot.com

I prefer 1up, myself, but this does seem odd. Remember that the author may just be a 360 fanboy--journalists are often fanboys too, you know?!

And ontop of all of that they said, they seemed to somehow forget, that the basic 360 model only comes with 1 controller as well!

but then again, why should a now corporation run site that talks about games care about the wii, even though to alot of people it looks like the most fun, it has the lowest graphics of them all. and we ALL know that graphics and physics is what sells a game. :rolleyes:

did they also forget that BOTH models of the 360 only came with ONE controller as well???

cursor said:
I prefer 1up, myself, but this does seem odd. Remember that the author may just be a 360 fanboy--journalists are often fanboys too, you know?!

I hate 1up because of Jeremy Parish. I love 1up because of Scott Sharkey and Milkman. It's kinda lose-win-win, so I guess it cancels out.

Even though I like a few of the writers from 1up, I generally hate any online 'gaming' magazing such as IGN or Joystiq. They're all advertising w****s who do and say what gets them the most money. In this case, it seems they've been bought off by somebody, 'cause I refuse to believe that there is anybody that retarded in the world. Even a staunch PS3 or Xbox enthusiast can clearly see that the pricepoint the Wii has is superior, even when you buy a game and and extra Wiimote+nunchuck.

That article from IGN also reminds me of the first panel of this Penny-Arcade comic. 'cause you know, as soon as you add in an extra controller, a game and a jewel-encrusted challace, the pricepoint goes right out the window!

heh i like that last frame, about buying zelda again. thats true but i'll wind up buying alot of the classic games i dont already own. i figure if i want to play it so bad i have to wait to download it i might as well blow in th cart and stick er in there.

then again my collection is always growing so what if i download a game, and then i find it at a flea market and i already have it? such a cunundrum! (or how ever its spelt)

Though I think the controller thing is pretty stupid, they have a point that it's only 50$s cheaper and when you look at the hardware in both systems it seems the Wii is not such a great deal after all.

I've been reading crap like this about the Xbox for about 6 years now.

So many Sony and Nintendo fanboys out there in the press.

I guess the Xbox is coming into its own if its getting its own fanboys in the press, lol.

ps I agree about the hardware. That little Wii box isn't costing them a whole lot more than the Cube to produce and the wiimote was the bulk of the R&D so $200 would have been much better, but I still believe people will pay it and Nintendo should get every penny out of it that they can, being a business and all.

well the nes cost about $200 when it first came out, i am see this $250 as to be with the times, you know inflation and such.

nes controllers werent ever $50 though, i got 17 of them for $10 with a bunch of other stuff once too

I was always under the impression that the 360 core system wasn't really worth it though...if your going 360 you better go for the $400 one.

Also the comment about the extra controllers was just dumb, and I praise Nintendo for bringing back including a game with the system...even if it isn't the best game on the market...thanks for giving me something.

Back