• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working on OCing X6800 on DS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenJelly

I am attempting to overclock my X6800, with my Giga-byte DS3. Right now I dont care much about memory speeds, though I am having problems running my Gigabyte at 1066mhz memory with +.4v and 8500c5!

Basically I have followed Wusy's guide on tomshardware forums to the letter with the exception of a vFSB +.1v instead of +.2v and I didnt disable the temp safety feature. I am successfull at 300mhz FSB with a 3 memory multiplier. I ran Prime95 successfull on these settings up and until 310 fsb.

Then I hit a wall... I am working on 320mhz, and have been working on almost anything to get it going. I am currently testing the highest vCore so far at 1.45, and am running vFSB with +.2v! The Gigabyte Northbridge gets really hot, though I did buy a cooler for my old Asus P5B (which sucks), and am just waiting to get the hardware for the DS3.

I need some approaches to the problem of choosing what voltage to increase when you step the speed up. I have read a ALLOT of OCing Guides, but I think Im stuck... I was running a vCore of 1.4 and it seemed very stable, then it stopped responding... Ive been pushing up the vCore more and more, but so far Im not successfull. I will go look at the results of a 1.45 when Im done typing this. Temps are low, running around 50-55c.

Mike

DS3 + x6800 seems like an odd pair imo, not that it matters at this point though.

x6800 is most likely gonna get pretty toasty, therefore you should disable the temp saftey feature.

What multi were you running at 300fsb ?

i use the same CPU and the same MB i'm running at 3.6 stable i do a mult. at 10 and FSB at 360 i can't seem to get any higher than that for me o use water cooling so temps are not a issue for me but i'm at a stump myself. i have my vcore at 1.4 and everything else at stock.

Csst said:
i use the same CPU and the same MB i'm running at 3.6 stable i do a mult. at 10 and FSB at 360 i can't seem to get any higher than that for me o use water cooling so temps are not a issue for me but i'm at a stump myself. i have my vcore at 1.4 and everything else at stock.

yeah I am around that mark. Im using a 11x multiplier, havent tried lower, though I plan on it... Just sounds like the Manufacturers are not doing as much work on the X6800 in bios as much as they should.

Its too bad. But I am in no rush to get this turned up... In fact, Im going to drop down my FSB for a year or so. I wont need any more speed; so why push it?

My Giga-byte reported CPU speed is around 53c on prime. Water temps raise 9-10 degrees when playing a game, and so my CPU heat will get higher... but you got to consider that nothing I have ever tried heats up a CPU as much as Prime95.

BTW, The GS has an ability to set the alarm temp. I think this is where that protection comes into play. I set that to 70c.

Mike

From what I understood there is a strap issue which causes low FSB clocks similar to what you are experiencing. For the Asus board it was "Hyperpath 3" for your board Im not sure what the setting will be called. When and if you find it disable it and your FSB clock should increase.

[UPDATE: I have additional information about the GS3. The GS3 + X6800 + Corsairs 8500c5 + 318-322mhz FSB + 11x Multiplier = Failure of PCI (im not sure about PCI-E) devices.

I dont know why this happens, but these FSB settings will pass Memtest and Prime95, but I noticed that the ATA devices, and that the PCI devices (sound card on PCI) would both start and stop working.

I droped the FSB to 300 and it no longer happens.

I know this because I started to think that my Plextor was broken. I replaced it with my Lite-On that was working, and now it doesnt. Then I noticed that I had to keep re-installing the SoundBlaster X-Fi drivers over and over again.

Their is something going on when you increase the FSB and/or clock speed in this configuration. It may be related to the memory, the multiplier, the bios, the clock speed, the FSB speed, the board design, or all of some of the above.

Ive submitted a bug report to Giga-byte.
Mike

bing said:
Especially with 6800 top cpu line, why choose DS3 from the 1st place ?

qft.

if i was going to overclock a 6800 i would've gotten the P5b-D

but with both of the DS3's that i've worked with. they both can easily hit 390-410 FSB no problem. i think its just the DS3 can't handle the mighty x6800

darkcow said:
qft.

if i was going to overclock a 6800 i would've gotten the P5b-D

but with both of the DS3's that i've worked with. they both can easily hit 390-410 FSB no problem. i think its just the DS3 can't handle the mighty x6800
I dont expect this to last, but... I got to wait. I can overclock it reasonably, which is all I want to do at this time.

Someone told me that Maximum PC said that no motherboard works well at OCing the "mighty" x6800

What bios are you using on your DS3? Before mine crapped out on me I was able to hit 480FSB and I'm sure it could've hit 500. (F6 BIOS)

GreenJelly said:
I dont expect this to last, but... I got to wait. I can overclock it reasonably, which is all I want to do at this time.

Someone told me that Maximum PC said that no motherboard works well at OCing the "mighty" x6800

never listen to what Maximum PC says... they know nothing and proud of it.

Bios F7,

And in all honest; the only true answer is that their are no answers:)

Back