• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddc-2 or d5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoBePmp

So far all I've bought for my water cooling is a Swiftech Storm waterblock. What should I buy for a pump? I was thinking about a ddc-2 or d5. Also what do these third party tops do?

DDC with a modded top, alphacool or petras. The modded tops do two main thing, convert the tube ID to 1/2" and greatly increase the flow and pressure of the pump.

Original DDC FTW! The DDC-2 (or +, w/e you prefer) is loud and obnoxious. I've never had a D5 but most people say it's really good.

Definately get the top if you go with the DDC, worth every penny. There's a guy selling a top in the classifieds now too, if you have access.

damarble said:
Original DDC FTW! The DDC-2 (or +, w/e you prefer) is loud and obnoxious. I've never had a D5 but most people say it's really good.

Definately get the top if you go with the DDC, worth every penny. There's a guy selling a top in the classifieds now too, if you have access.

I did a side-by-side comparison not too long ago between a D5, DDC (10w), and DDC+ (18w). The DDC is almost silent. At about 3' it is barely noticeable. The DDC+ is only about 2-3db louder with just a slightly higher pitch. It is just enough louder that you can notice the difference, but that is all. The D5 has to be turned down to about 2 to get it the same volume level as the DDC+, however the D5 has a higher pitched whine that makes it very noticeable over the DDC+ even at pot 2.

I am a silence freak and the DDC+ was just barely louder but it provides quite a good bit more flow and pressure than the DDC. I recommend the DDC+.

As for the tops, the DDC and DDC+ as they come stock have the inlet on the top parallel with the outlet. This really hinders the performance this pump is capable of. This is not to mention that the top comes stock with only 3/8" barbs. A top like the Delrin one at petrastechshop.com (http://www.petrastechshop.com/peddcudeddcp.html) is a recommended addition to this pump. It allows you to use 1/2" hose, and having the larger inlet at the top instead of parallel with the outlet from the side, results in about 75% more flow with barely any pressure drop. You can also mod the top to allow for a larger inlet without buying an add-on top (see http://systemcooling.com/mcp350_mod-01.html), but of course if you do this it voids the warranty.

Adding the top voids the warranty as well.

IMO - It's all a matter of money. The DDC+ without the top doesn't perform nearly as well as the MCP655/D5. If you add the top to the DDC+ the performance is better and it's more quiet but you're paying more money as well.

As someone noted in another thread: noise, performance, cost - pick two ...

If you have the cash to get a DDC and top to go with it. If your budget won't allow the new top get the D5.

QuietIce said:
As someone noted in another thread: noise, performance, cost - pick two ...
That is SO true!

I am deciding if I want to try WC again and actually finish my setup this time.

Are the DDC+'s substantially quieter than the D5's?

Thanks

shawkins said:
Are the DDC+'s substantially quieter than the D5's?

Thanks
Yes!

I've got a pair of MCP655s mounted externally and they're very quiet, less noise than an HDD spinning up. Got to setting up my old machine for water cooling w/a DDC+ and I couldn't hear the pump at all unless I was w/in 2' of the thing. That first evening I kept walking over and putting my hand on it to check it - it's virtually silent ...

Back