• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
How good is this O.S. Any hardware conflicts. With all the ram I have how much will be put to use. I was thinking bout upgrading to XP, but some of the games and software I use will not work with it.

Windows ME is a horrible OS..
It runs down the system resources like mad...
It's very unstable after a 12 hour run..

What programs aren't working?
I would recommend Win2K then./

WinMe sucks horribly. I've found that a few games and programs won't play on XP. But most things work well on it.

Hi I am curious what u did to get Win98se to run with 1 gig of ram??

As to the WinMe issue I have personaly installed 2 dozen copies of win Me on systems I have built,All these systems run flawlessly.

On my last system I used Me and was able to O/C my 1.2 gig chip way higher than I could with 98Se.I also loved the system restore because I am always trying new software and had the habbit of creating a restore point prior to instaling anything.

What makes or breaks WinMe is drivers,drivers,drivers.You must have the correct certified Drivers for every device,If you dont you will have serious issues.

I'm with Diehrd, I am running ME on my system at work and at
home as well as several systems I have built for friends and all run flawlessly. I also realized a much higher/stable overclock when I upgraded from 98SE to ME.
Randy

I have three ME machines. No problems. Norton Antivirus works fine on mine. I don't game, but the few that I have put on work fine.

Just my .02 here: when someone says an OS sucks and is unstable and blah blah blah, it's beginning to sound to me like this someone can't figure it out or has screwed something up and shifts blame to the OS instead of him-/her-self.

Yes, I've had screwups using this. Fragged my HD 3 times in two weeks recently. Was this WinME's fault? No. My fault because I was running SpeedDisk on an unstable system. More than likely, the OS doesn't screw up; the user does.

Please keep our forums clean. Direct flames via PM. And remember we DO have a Debates section if this needs to go further. :)

Klownin79 said:
How good is this O.S. Any hardware conflicts. With all the ram I have how much will be put to use. I was thinking bout upgrading to XP, but some of the games and software I use will not work with it.

XP is your choice...............don't bother with ME..........its pieace of crap............waste your money if you do that.........

game will run on XP

I have ME on an HP 8766c P3 900MHz, 192MB RAM, still using the crappy restore CDs, tho. Everytime I boot up, there'S about nothing that runs, and directly I check system resources, 70% !!! and that's at bootup. Can't tell you the resources on XP, as I don't know how to find them, but it works hundred of times better than ME

I run WinME and it is AWESOME!! It can have up to theoretically 2 Gigs of ram - 1Gig is more realistic...

I have crashed once and it is on two comps.... and have been running it since its release - I just keep up on the updates and it is never a problem...

Back