• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock C2D Intel HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperZ

Registered
My stock intel heatsink/fan is INCREDIBLY loud compared to the heatsink/fan used on one of my other computers (Dell Dimension 9100 Pentium D 2.8ghz).

Since the C2D generates far less heat, shouldnt the fan not have to be used all the time? For me the fan keeps going constantly and is unbearably loud.

Right now I don't have the budget to get a thermaltake big typhoon, what can I do in the meantime to minimize the stock hsf's noise while not compromising the temperature of the processor?

[My motherboard is Abit AB9 btw]

The C2D's aren't that cool running, and the stock HSF isn't the best, so slowing the fan down may not be a good idea. The C2D's still run hotter than a 110w AMD.

Daddyjaxx said:
The C2D's aren't that cool running, and the stock HSF isn't the best, so slowing the fan down may not be a good idea. The C2D's still run hotter than a 110w AMD.

What makes you think that the thermomister isn't calibrated as well in the AMD core?

C2D's temp. is thought to be much more accurate.

You can monitor the temps regardless.

mr. roboto said:
does your motherboard have any fan control options? If it doesnt, then the fan will just run full blast all the time.

I'm pretty sure it has fan control options since I plugged the fan cable into the "CPU Fan" thing on the mobo, I don't see a way to control it though, but I can monitor its RPM.

IMO

Isn't it just hilarious that Intel continues to put out that piece of crap cooler with a C2D CPU? If I were them, I'd be embarassed to ship the damn things. At the very least they could get environmentally concerned, knowing that 99% of the coolers they ship, end up in landfills. Their fan adjustment options that they have had for the past 2-3 years have been completely inadequate too. And the thing is, it isn't rocket science to fix either of those problems. They just care that little about the product they are putting out, because they know people will buy it anyway. What a country!!

Last edited:
For those who have heard the intel HSF in action, how loud would you compare it to a 120mm?

For me its easily 4x or 5x louder, is my HSF messed up? lol

MadMan007 said:
Are you oc'ing on the stock HSF? If so run it at closer to or at stock speed and stock vcore until you get a better HSF.

I'm not overclocking (yet).

LOL

greenmaji said:
@jph1589.. I don't see how Intel's stock cooler is not adiqute for its intended purpose, stock clocks.
Anyone who has ever used one could answer that themselves. You aren't really going to pick this topic to argue with me on....are you?

I have used the stock cooler on my 2.8C for the last 1 1/2 years. I have also used it on my C2D @ 2.7 for the last 1 1/2 weeks and it keeps it well within my range of comfort for temps. Right now I am board limited until I can get my P5B Dlx but at that time I will be re-assembling my Water-cooling loop. Also, I personally find that the 120's I have in my case are louder than my intel HSF, but I guess that I am just different or lucky. Although lucky I would doubt cause its been 3 different stock Intel HSF's.

~jtjuska

Daddyjaxx said:

WRONG.... c2d is a 65 watt processor.... why you see temps so much higher on the C2D compared to a 110watt AMD (probably X2 4400) is that the temps on a C2D that we record is the ACTUAL core temp like INSIDE the core (actually the junction between PCB and Core) and where your AMD reads is the IHS temp which is MUCH LESS....

I hava a thermal probe on my E6600's IHS and it NEVER gets over 90*F during a sucide 4ghz run at 1.65v... currently its at 80*F and the actuall cores are at 97*F

The Intel heatsinks are fairly efficient and they are indeed perfectly adequate at default speed. If you think 99% of Intel heatsinks get thrown away, you are sadly mistaken. Overclockers account for only a small fraction of total sales. I always keep my retail heatsink. When I sell the CPU later, the person buying it almost always uses the stock heatsink on the CPU in their system.

We are getting off topic. With Abit motherboards, you can adjust fan speed using Fan EQ in the BIOS or in uGuru.

Back