• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some questions on my rig going live this afternoon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sektor

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I apologize if this is the wrong place.
I posted it here since I have a E6600.

Here are my questions:

I finish up my rig this afternoon.
I want to monitor things as detailed as I can to see how everything is performing. I am looking to be able to:

-monitor the CPU and GPU temperature
-is there a way to measure how much power the motherboard is using, the CPU, memory and GPU?
-I am going to have (2) 120mm fans in the back; (1) 120mm in the front; (1)120mm fan on top of my heatsink and a 92mm fan on my VGA cooler.

How do I see how much power each is using?
Is there a way to control the fan speeds for all the fans?

I am really just looking to measure and make sure my system is stable. If there are any problems, I want to be able to jump on any problems right away.

I appreciate the help.
Look forward to response.

Cheers,

sektor

Power? I don't know, but I have an idea. Using a UPS measure the amount of time it would take for the UPS to completely discharge while running the rig. That should give you an idea.

About the fans, try a fan controller. Sunbeam makes a worthy, cheap one. Monitoring the CPU temp only needs a program, like Speedfan. GPU temps can be monitored from the driver for ATI. I don't know about nvidia.

You don't mention what motherboard you are using, but for example, Asus and Abit have software on the install CD that allows you to monitor temps and voltages. If +12v and 3.3v voltages drop dramatically under load, that would give you an indication that the PSU might not be heavy duty enough. GPU temps can be monitored on some of the newer vid cards, like my X1900XT, but you'll need to use vid card overclocking software. Most motherboards have fan speed control function or you can get a separate fan controller.

batboy said:
You don't mention what motherboard you are using, but for example, Asus and Abit have software on the install CD that allows you to monitor temps and voltages. If +12v and 3.3v voltages drop dramatically under load, that would give you an indication that the PSU might not be heavy duty enough. GPU temps can be monitored on some of the newer vid cards, like my X1900XT, but you'll need to use vid card overclocking software. Most motherboards have fan speed control function or you can get a separate fan controller.

Rig:

Gigabyte DS 3
E6600
x1900xt
2gig Corsair DDR2 800
Enhance 5150 PSU (500W)

I want to jump on any issues right away.
thx

I just really curious to see how I can measure the power consumption. Since I have all these fans, a power hungry vid card...I want to make sure it is up to the task. I am told it is very good, just wnat to make sure.

4 fans?? try a total of 8 case fans for me!!! lol, try managing those fans voltages. Thats not counting my CPU cooler fan, VidCard fan, 2 PSU fans.....But you should be fine with your fans voltages, I dought they will take up anything that will affect your system.

ASUS is pretty good with their fan headers, the a8n-sli (yes i know its a 939 board) can handle up to 3amps (1.5 max on any single header but then total also drops... ) I believe. DOH.. you are using the gigabyute board... it should say in the manual how much each header or total headers can handle.

Also each fan should have written on it just how much jooc it requires.

Back