• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software-Make My Own Music?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Hey guys,

I've been interested in making my own music for a long time, but I don't know how or what programs would be used to do it.

Specifically, I want to make like artificial stuff, like techno or the beats and stuff of rap music, nothing w/ recording stuff from live instruments.

I'm pretty much lost at this point about where I'd get the sound files for the music/instruments, and what program I could use to mix them or make the music.

Anyone know about this kinda stuff?

I used to have a program called Acid Music. It let you use prerecorded loops to make a drumbeat, add in guitar riffs, and stuff like that. worked a lot like the old style sound recorder in windows 98. Don't know if it's still out there or not. the initial sound loops were kinda cheesy, but they had upgrade packs and occasionally released new freebies.Link to the free trial of Acid Express

Shell said:
FL Studio is the best... once you learn how to use it.

It would likely be best suited for you.

i have to disagree with that one...FL Studio feels too kiddy for me. if you want some quality software that will actually teach you how the real hardware works, look no further than Reason
www.propellerheads.se
i have been using it for years and its beautiful. check it out you wont be disappointed. but be warned, there is a lot to learn

*EDIT* im redoing my server but once its back up, i will shoot you a link to download some stuff i have made over the years

I've been having a blast with FL studio. It's easy to learn, and the interface is nice. However, if you're looking for something free, there's Madtracker. I haven't played around with it much, but from what I've seen, the interface is a little cluttered.

Deadbot1_1973 said:
I used to have a program called Acid Music. It let you use prerecorded loops to make a drumbeat, add in guitar riffs, and stuff like that. worked a lot like the old style sound recorder in windows 98. Don't know if it's still out there or not. the initial sound loops were kinda cheesy, but they had upgrade packs and occasionally released new freebies.Link to the free trial of Acid Express

Yeah, i've heard of ACID a while back, Googled them a few minutes ago and apparently it is now run/produced by Sony..:rolleyes: I guess I'll research it a bit. I have heard of it a while back, hopefully it's still good now that it is owned by Sony. Thanks.

Shell said:
FL Studio is the best... once you learn how to use it.

It would likely be best suited for you.
OK thanks, I'll give that a look also!

smokie mcpott said:
i have to disagree with that one...FL Studio feels too kiddy for me. if you want some quality software that will actually teach you how the real hardware works, look no further than Reason
www.propellerheads.se
i have been using it for years and its beautiful. check it out you wont be disappointed. but be warned, there is a lot to learn

*EDIT* im redoing my server but once its back up, i will shoot you a link to download some stuff i have made over the years

Awesome, I'll also give that a look, sounds really interesting. I'd also love to hear some samples!

About there being alot to learn, I'm already assuming if I do begin trying to make my own music, there will be a steep learning curve so I'm not worried. Thanks!

DrkLrdsSlv said:
I've been having a blast with FL studio. It's easy to learn, and the interface is nice. However, if you're looking for something free, there's Madtracker. I haven't played around with it much, but from what I've seen, the interface is a little cluttered.

Free...lol i'll definately give it a go since I don't have to pay, might as well try it. Thanks.

OWCH! Unfortunately Reason is outa my options....it's $500!! Way outa my price range unfortunately...that stinks cause the website was getting me excited lol.

hmmm yes, well if you found a way to get it for free or for someone to pay for it for you (Legit ofcourse...)
I used a Demo version for a lil bit. I now have Cool Edit pro (doesnt have lots of synthesisers tho however you can get other free programs for that)

Right now I'm really confused on the software itself....where will I bet getting all the sound samples or whatever their called from? Are they included in the software, or are they in all this stuff I see that can be bought separately?

I'm seeing lots of stuff concerning Sony ACID and FL Studio...kinda confused. Mentionings of loops and samples, but it all seems like it needs to be bought separately...

What is this type of software called anyway? I want to do google searches, but I'm not sure what to call or what it is really called.

Last edited:
reason uses sample packs called refills.. you can use wav(among several other audio types)... aif, aiff, akai cd samples
its been years since i have used acid and months since fl studio... so i dont remember what file format they support

in acid you can use any wav sound as a loop. Any wav, including sounds you record yourself. Some of the others may allow for MP3 loops or other formats.
Acis has a few that come with it, and then they sell packs of sounds based on the type(drum beats, musical instruments, etc). You don't have to use them, I used a recording of a motor reving in one of my old experiments with it.

Hmm...I don't really have any resources to do good recordings, so I guess it's either buying their packs, or finding free stuff online...

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm an Acid Pro 3, 4, and now 5 user. Mostly just use it to program drum tracks for my tunes. Link is in my sig if you're interested in hearing what sort of stuff you can accomplish at home.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/ is the best resource on the net for poor musician folks like us.

Back