• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe OC ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x96

Hi!

If I OC my pc changing only the mhz and leaving the voltage as it was, does it affect anything except better performance? (heat etc)

x96 said:
Hi!

If I OC my pc changing only the mhz and leaving the voltage as it was, does it affect anything except better performance? (heat etc)

raising the Mhz can raise your temps. raising the volts can raise your temps.

if you don't lock your pci/pci-e/agp buses, they will be overclocked as well, along with the fsb. this can lead to data corruption on your harddrives, videocard not working, etc.

basically, every OC is a calculated risk. i think your best bet would be to make a thread in the appropriate section (AMD/Intel) and get some help with your OC. make sure to post as much detail as possible about your rig (hardware, config).

Heat grows roughly linearly with clockspeed (versus as about the square of the voltage), so you will have a small increase in heat (which will make your processor die sooner due to electromigration, but it should still take a very long time). There is also a greater chance of errors.

I just sold my pc so can`t overclock right now but when i got smth, ill let u know :)

If i will oc without raising voltage, does it make big difference in cpu heat and life compared to raising voltage and making even more mhz?

(Im planning 3000+ or 3.0ghz p4)

x96 said:
I just sold my pc so can`t overclock right now but when i got smth, ill let u know :)

If i will oc without raising voltage, does it make big difference in cpu heat and life compared to raising voltage and making even more mhz?

(Im planning 3000+ or 3.0ghz p4)
As I said, heat goes linearly with speed, but with the square of voltage. So as the increases get bigger, the heat generated by speed increases becomes fairly small compared to that generated by the voltage increase.

Back