• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What if...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

what if a well established gaming company decided to try and make a game that was so incredibly in depth and developed in terms of gameplay, but sacrificed good graphics in the process? by sacrificing good graphics i mean the graphics would be straight out of the mid/late 90s. i would personally play it and probably love it. im getting sick of companies trying to focus in so much on good graphics.

Ultima VII The Black Gate. You'd have to find it on eBay though and use a 3rd party program to run it on a modern computer.

Despite that, many games to this date still fail to match some of the gameplay elements involved.

I don't think it would fly well. Game play is the single most important thing to a game but its not the only thing. I would buy a just "OK" game if it had "Revolutionary" cinematic quality graphics just to play it but it wouldn't hold my interest very long. Same with a game that had really good play, it be cool for a while till something not better but more up to date came out. Thats about how I feel about WoW. Game play is good but the graphs are a little to cartoonish for me.

SeasonalEclipse said:
A lot of games are just pretty graphics.. Kinda like some women.. pretty outside.. empty inside.

Whats more important? Eye-candy or how they are "inside" no pun intended.

For me, I just like hot girls.

Probably wouldn't go over that well. While gameplay/story are important, graphics are up there too. I play CSS over CS1.6 simply because I can't see a damn thing in the older versions with those crappy graphics.

i guess you guys have a point. but with the css / cs 1.6 example, many people prefer 1.6 over css, even those that play css. the gameplay is so much better and thats really the reason why it has such more competitive gameplay than css does.

I got System Shock 2 working in XP... with the good ol' graphics. The problem is nobody is ATTEMPTING another game like it... except the same people that made that one (Bioshock).

Street Fighter 2, Doom, and Metal Gear Solid put the T.K.O. on gaming innovation for GOOD. (Though Final Fight deserves an honorable mention...)

Street Fighter 2 killed arcade innovation... which is where a lot of game inspiration came from. Doom annihilated PC Gaming (remember "Adventure Games"? Remember Gabriel Knight? Leisure Suit Larry? Crusader: No Remorse? All those damned strategy games... all those different genres that existed before Doom brought the FPS to the toes of the mainstream?) And Metal Gear Solid pulled off a similar feat on the consoles.

I can't think of a single existing game that isn't some odd combination of those three or a derivative work. The Wii will have ANOTHER metroid... and ANOTHER smash brothers... and ANOTHER mario... I remember when every game nintendo released was a whole-new genre. Compare Kid Icarus to River City Ransom. Or Pro Wrestling to Gyromite. Or Mike Tyson's Punchout to ANYTHING. What happened is they got too comfy with their core titles. That's where all the innovation goes. To people who are still obsessed with those same old games.

The most innovative thing I've seen in years has been the GTA series. Starting with 3, I simply could've never imagined such a thing was possible. Splinter Cell and Hitman (and I do love hitman)... you KNOW where they came from. Game publishers found a formula. And they've been sticking to it like Coca-Cola Classic.

Every modern publisher (except maybe Rockstar) is guilty of that. (With very few exceptions.)

Still, I don't see why you can't be innovative AND have good graphics.

WTH? Strategy is dead? FPS is the only genre?

Hmm, man, I must be delirious when I play Dawn of War or Warcraft III or Company of Heroes. And man, Geez, Adventrue games don't exist anymore? Geez, my copy of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time just dissapeared as well!

There are still good games in alot of different genres. I'm currently hooked on Anno 1701, which is quite incredible from a gameplay perspective. I'm running it on intel integrated video right now :-O

Elif Tymes said:
WTH? Strategy is dead? FPS is the only genre?

Hmm, man, I must be delirious when I play Dawn of War or Warcraft III or Company of Heroes. And man, Geez, Adventrue games don't exist anymore? Geez, my copy of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time just dissapeared as well!

There are still good games in alot of different genres. I'm currently hooked on Anno 1701, which is quite incredible from a gameplay perspective. I'm running it on intel integrated video right now :-O

Prince of Persia is NOT an adventure game. Freddy Pharcus Frontier Pharmacist was an adventure game.

And there used to be ten different KINDS of Strategy game. (And a magazine called "Computer Games and Strategy Plus.")

Maybe you are a bit delirous... have some water. :)

Sweetheart, there still are a huge amount of different kinds of strategy games :p. You just need to look harder. yes the A-List titles are going to be the "Hey! We can make money off of this genre" variety. 1701 - City building Strategy. Dawn of War/Company of Heroes - Real time Tactics, Civ4 - Turn based Strategy. RTW: TBS/RTT Supreme Comander 2 Real time strategy, Ballerium MMORTT(yeah fer real!)

If you're talking about non-violent adventure games, you can still find them sometimes. They're definately not terribly prominent, but they are still being made. Generally as web based Flash versions, since they don't need flashy graphics, just a decent story.

aaa, the good old days. I know Im only 17 and I shouldn't be saying that, but in terms of technology, 6 or 7 years is considered old. I still play total annhilation on my old IBM Aptiva just for kicks. I would take an awsome game with horrible graphics over a just ok game with supreme graphics any day. Would have sold my original playstation a long time ago if this wasnt the case.

Elif Tymes said:
Sweetheart, there still are a huge amount of different kinds of strategy games :p. You just need to look harder. yes the A-List titles are going to be the "Hey! We can make money off of this genre" variety. 1701 - City building Strategy. Dawn of War/Company of Heroes - Real time Tactics, Civ4 - Turn based Strategy. RTW: TBS/RTT Supreme Comander 2 Real time strategy, Ballerium MMORTT(yeah fer real!)

If you're talking about non-violent adventure games, you can still find them sometimes. They're definately not terribly prominent, but they are still being made. Generally as web based Flash versions, since they don't need flashy graphics, just a decent story.

Well Gabriel Knight had violence and it was still an adventure game... Prince of Persia was the first ACTION adventure game. That's two different genres.

Back