• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible trouble on Friday!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cy

Well, if the judge decides to stop all @home service on Friday I will be up the creek for access. My work systems will keep going and I've increased my que at home.

Crossing fingers...

Cy

I'm in the same boat. Our local carrier Charter Communications claims to have signed a deal to pipe our service into MSN's Atlanta network. Supposedly all we have to do is change some passwords or server addresses, but a lady with customer service leveled with me and said they really don't know what they're going to do. If we lose our connection I won't be able to handle the data here with just dial up :(

@Home cable interent service joined Excite online content/portal site some time ago. While the physical cable part has always made good money the content part (Excite) has lost money hand over fist. The new company filed for bankruptcy a few months ago. This friday they go before a judge to see if they can continue talks with AT&T to have them buy their user base. Other regional services have been scrambling to figure out other forms of service but who knows?

Cy

The thing that really confuses me is several months ago when it came out that they were sinking financially, ATT said that if they did go under they would take the reins so to speak - because @Home has been leasing equipment and network access from ATT all along. In a nutshell - it was always ATT's equipment and network backbone, so they should just keep it going under the ATT name with no problem. Now it doesn't look that way...

I wonder where I stand. I use AT&T@HOME.

I'd hate to have to set my modem up again.

Worse than that would be to have to use it!

My parents are on AT&T@Home and they have received several letters regarding the situation. I'm surprised you haven't. The letters said that AT&T is "negotiating" with @Home to prevent interruption of service, but in the event the judge allows them to terminate service they would have an "alternative" in place. They also said my parent's email address might change to @attbroadband.com

I have a backup dial up account with Earthlink, but I'd hate to be stuck with that. The only other local option is DSL, but it's horrible in this area.

I use AT&T broadband i just got a letter yesterday describing the Excite situation..The letter basically said that I should not expect any change of service, guess we'll see how that goes.

4.1 million users at $30 each, and no one can make any money? They sure don't spend it on tech support. I've been talking with a local tech guru at the cable company, and he says they're looking for an isp that will handle them locally.

That would be a little nicer, I think.

Back