• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 7900GS's - better to go stock or factory oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
so i was browsing newegg today and I saw that XFX has 3 different 7900gs models, one at stock speeds and 2 overclocked. obviously, the OCed models are priced higher but they all look to have just about the same board layout. Are there any benefits to buying the factory OCed models over the stock model, besides the benefit of the warranty? Anyone know if the stock model should be able to clock as fast as the other two?

here are the 3 cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150208 - stock 450/1320
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150202 - 525/1550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150209 - 600/1600

If you dont plan to voltmod or put a huge cooler on it, get the oc one. if you want a card to have fun with, get the 450 one. im sure its cheaper.

Usually the more expensive cards are the factory already-oc..

If you know what you're doing when overclocking than I suggest saving a few bucks on a video card that's not factory oc..

Learned that from buying a BFG 6600GT

I would get the GS though for the less money and OC it at a good range

Last edited:
i'm wondering if the card that is at stock clocks could hit the same speeds as the one that is factory clocked at 600/1600, or if they possibly change some things on the card, like a factory volt mod or swap out the ram to get the higher clocks. Is it also safe to assume that the card with the factory OC are already maxed out and won't be able to OC any more?

ChinStrap said:
10 bucks man, go with the 600 core card.

seriously should there be any question... higher factory oc = generally a better ocing card... and 600/1600 from the factory MAN... but the only problem is XFX... i would much rather buy an evga

CanadianTSi said:
The Overclocked card has 1.3v on the Core where the Normal one is 1.2v

ahhhhh she is making sence now.... HELL the sock card has a better cooler than the ocd card and the ocd card has a .1v overvolt... mabey this is why XFX has such a bad rep.

ChinStrap said:
10 bucks man, go with the 600 core card.

they also have a lifetime warranty, and it's a no brainer... 150mhz under warranty for $10, go for it. Also i doubt they would know if you oc'd it further, and 600mhz is already pretty good :D

i think they changed the prices since i made the original post...definitely for $10 its a no brainer, but i swear there was more differential before

sence when does XFX have a bad rep... i have always liked thier cards and never had any problmes with them at all... i am sorry but i would take an xfx over an evga any day !! jmho

Meh. ive owned both brands and i dont have any particular affinity for either. Both offer a lifetime waranty on their OC parts so id just go with whatever is cheaper at the time.
If anything, my evga looks like a cheapy *** thing stock heh...
Im still firmly of the belief, you break it you buy it but its neat they are willing to go this far with their products.
600 is about the maximum you will get out of that vcore too. most of them need 1.4 volts to do that.

I like the look of the xfs's personally. they feel all around higher quality than the plane green evga. i know thats complete bs heh, but holding my 7600gs from them just felt like a higher quality card than my shiney new, boring evga.

Memphis69 said:
sence when does XFX have a bad rep... i have always liked thier cards and never had any problmes with them at all... i am sorry but i would take an xfx over an evga any day !! jmho

testfy!!! :beer: btw that black bord they are on is sexy eh?

Memphis69 said:
testfy!!! :beer: btw that black bord they are on is sexy eh?

i also like the support rail, even tho i'm sure it's not needed

i've seen some cards bend under the weight of the huge aftermarket hsf's, but those stock ones on the xfx's don't look like they're require extra support

Back