• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ed 2500k to 4.4 from stock, but I'm getting less frames?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

I just added a GTX 1060 to my older 2500k rig.

I knew there would be a bottleneck bc of my older ram and cpu, but I didn't think I would have 60-70% less frames than online benchmarks with the same card. In GTA 5 I'm only seeing ~30fps@1080p during the benchmark. While ingame settings say I'm only using 4.1gb of my 6gb card.
In other games, like the new DOOM, I'm getting ~90 with without any cpu or ram overclocking.

So its definetly the CPU or the RAM holding me back so much. I currenty have 16g's (4x4gb) of ddr3 1600mhz, running stock. Link to RAM, running on a Gigabyte z68 mobo. Link to Mobo

I found a older thread, where some easy BIOS settings got my CPU up to 4.4ghz. Will probably need to reseat the heatsink though, while runnning prime one core is hitting 85, while the rest are at 78-79.
Not exactly sure about the settings I used on the RAM, but I think I had to set it to normal instead of auto to be able to get to windows with the 4.4ghz settings. I believe RAM is still on stock settings.

Overclocking the CPU made windows noticeably faster, but no difference on the GTA 5 fps benchmark. Which only leaves the ram...

Is the ram the only thing holding me back right now? What bios settings do I need to change to get a better clock out of my ram?

Last edited:
Just to be clear, your subject line gives the impression that you are getting less frames after overclocking than you did before overclocking. But the body of the post seems to be saying that you are getting less fps than others using the same card. Am I understanding you correctly? If you put the CPU back to stock what impact does this have on fps in your benchmarks?

At first I thought it was the case that I was getting less after OC'ing.
I've changed alot of settings and gone back and forth now afew times and I'm for sure that is wrong, regardless of OC or stock clock I am getting ~30 in GTA 5.

Other games like Doom and Arkham Knight get more than 60fps with full settings and stock CPU clock. GTA seems to be the only game I can't get above 60fps at 1080p.

You can't compare FPS from game to game #1... so what you have in Doom/Batman means absolutely nothing for GTA V.

That out of the way, What are your settings in GTA V? In our testing of the 1060, we hit around 83 FPS at 1080p. We use about 2.7GB of memory. That tells me you have some settings a lot higher than we do to be using so much more vRAM. That is also with a stock clocked 6700K though. GTA V is a pretty CPU heavy game as well. Consider that it gets ~10 FPS less than other CPUs with HT on it - http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

So depending on your settings, 40 FPS with Vsync off may be about right...

You definitely have something set differently Techspot achieved 73 FPS at 2560X1600 with a i5 2500k on GTA V.

Techspot isn't using a 1060 in their CPU tests...kind of hard to compare when it's a different gpu in the first place. ;)

Also, my point there had nothing to do with the 1060, but how you see a drop off from 4+ threads to 4.

Last edited:
My point is your i 5 2500k is fast enough stock to drive the GTA V at 73 FPS with a Titan X or 10 FPS less of a video card.

Back