• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware MJ12 7700m

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

Anyone know how to disassemble one?

I bought one last year, 6 months later it fried the first mobo. Then 1 month out of warranty it fried the second mobo. ALienware wouldn't honor a parts labor and said they only warranteed the entire system. So they want ~$600 to replace the motherboard.

Now i've got a lot of experience building desktops and i feel confident enough to do the work, but i don't know how it comes apart. lol. Anyone know how to do it?

If its anything like my IBM T40 (I have no idea if this is like yours) but look at the bottom. There should b a couple of screw holes covered with a cardboard like sticker. This should let you remove the keyboard. BAM! instant access to motherboard.

I kind of doubt it. I have looked at a fair number of different laptops and the IBM ones really seem to be the easiest to take apart. Some have all kinds of hidden screws and tabs and nonsense like that. iBM is pretty straight forward, a few screws and apart it comes.

I've heard that i got screws out the wazoo on this thing. From what i gather, i flip it over so it looks like a turtle and then remove the perimeter screws. This gains access to the inside of the case and then i go from there. Hell i may just sell it as is and see what i can get for it. I don't feel like taking the time to replace the damn thing. lol.

Back