• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Vid Card over 110c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Hello all,

I am having a problem with a Toshiba Satellite P100-9612, when gaming the fan for the graphics card will not spin, and will reach temps of over 115c (at which point the graphics card slows itself down) and will idle at the desktop over 100c. In the BIOS, after you restart, the fan will go full tilt until it cools down. I have two operating systems (FC6 and Winblows XP), and they both do it, so it is not an operating system problem. Also, since the fan works in the BIOS, the fan did not come unplugged. The card is a nVidia GeForce 7900GTX go, which puts out tons of heat, and when the fan is not running, it heats up that whole side of the laptop. I have reflashed the BIOS, but that did nothing. I called a local place that had worked on it twice already (had two bad video cards in a row!!) and they said they refuse to work on Toshiba laptops more than twice, so now I have to deal with the manufacturer...fun...this also means that if I send it in, it can take up to four weeks just to get it back, I am really tempted to just ask for a refund since this thing has been giving me problems from the start:mad:!! If you have any ideas as how to fix it, please do not hesitate to post. Just as a side note, I do not have any problem taking the laptop apart as I do that for my desktop and am a IT professional at SDSU (South Dakota)...and I have done it previously.

Link to laptop:
Click here.

Thanks,
Thideras

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be a bad card. It's honestly hard to tell. If you want to get this resolved, though, you might have to find somewhere local or bite the bullet and send it out.

Thanks for you responses, but I will most likely just send it in. I've got 2 more days left in the semester and then I can send it in...

Thideras

And to add more insult to injury, I have found out that it may have burned out one of the procs... :bang head . I noticed in Linux it was only saying I have 1 proc, I thought to myself "That's not right...", so I restarted to find my second core was disabled...so I enabled it. After this, Linux AND Windows both take over 5 minutes to start up! :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

Well, it seems the last time that I re-flashed the BIOS, it screwed up. I just did a re-flash and started the laptop up, and it works, in Linux and Windows, no problems...

Back