• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with clocking E6600 conroe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doeboy

I’ve been trying to clock my new E6600 but I’ve found that @ the stock 1.325v its stable at a poor 2.7GHz max. Is this usual? I’ve found that the average person reaches around 3.2 – 3.4 with stock voltage. I can get it to 3.2 but I have to up the voltage in bios to 1.475 which is pretty high and I’ve read will shorten the life of the CPU by quite a bit! Am I doing something wrong here? I’m using air cooling but it’s a zalman flower 9700 with 110mm fan which is pretty damn good at cooling.

I’m new to overclocking and don’t have any software to measure but I’ve found the machine stable in apps and games on all speeds so far, it’s just I don’t see why I have to up the voltage so far when others don’t need to touch it. I mean if 2.7 is this chips max it must be one of the worst ever made!

E6600 @ 2.7 1.325v
Abit Ab9 Pro with Uguru bios clocking feature.
Msi 8800GTX 630/2026
2GB DDR2 OCZ Platnum XTC 6400 4-5-4-15
Antec 900 case
Coolermaster 650w PSU

Oh man I want to try out one of those Antec 900's. Cool looking case!

As far as the E6600...I am a NOOB at OCing but it sounds like you might have gotten a bum chip. Most guys can reach 3.0ghz. I am currently @3.0 using 1.2500v set in BIOS. Maybe you can lower your RAM setytings to get it to that 1:1 ratio...I have read sometimes this helps . I have my DDR2800 set to DDR2600 in BIOS. Hope it helps

Every CPU is different. I wouldn't be too nervous about 1.475v. That's not high enough to cause any noticeable damage. 1.5-1.55 is where I'd stop if needed. There's a chance you just have a voltage lover, or perhaps the mount on your heatsink isn't as good as it could be.

doeboy said:
I’ve been trying to clock my new E6600 but I’ve found that @ the stock 1.325v its stable at a poor 2.7GHz max. Is this usual? I’ve found that the average person reaches around 3.2 – 3.4 with stock voltage. I can get it to 3.2 but I have to up the voltage in bios to 1.475 which is pretty high and I’ve read will shorten the life of the CPU by quite a bit! Am I doing something wrong here? I’m using air cooling but it’s a zalman flower 9700 with 110mm fan which is pretty damn good at cooling.

I’m new to overclocking and don’t have any software to measure but I’ve found the machine stable in apps and games on all speeds so far, it’s just I don’t see why I have to up the voltage so far when others don’t need to touch it. I mean if 2.7 is this chips max it must be one of the worst ever made!

E6600 @ 2.7 1.325v
Abit Ab9 Pro with Uguru bios clocking feature.
Msi 8800GTX 630/2026
2GB DDR2 OCZ Platnum XTC 6400 4-5-4-15
Antec 900 case
Coolermaster 650w PSU

Well doubt its a bad OCer there can be many variables that play into it not OCing nicely.

Make sure the motherboard has the latest Bios for starters. Not totally up to date on that particular motherboard but make sure that nothing in the bios is set to Auto for timings on the ram or voltages for anything (CPU, Ram, NB or SB). You might consider upping the voltage on your northbridge and southbridge to see if that helps a notch.

Other then that someone will come in here with that particular mobo to help ya out shortly hopfully.

As for voltage I agree with Gautam. My rule I follow is no more then 15% overvolt from its defualt voltage. For which you can check out is getting Coretemp. Fire that up and check out the VID, this is your default voltage so we can at least get an idea of your chip. As well read off your numbers on CPU box. It be something like L626Axxxxxx something like that.

As well other programs to get is Orthos (your stability tester, if running run on Small FFT's to stress the CPU only), memtester (its a dos based program that will check the stability of ram), and TAT (a thermal monitor program made by Intel that can read the tempatures accurately on the CPU for both cores, its very similar to the one in Coretemp as well so really you don't need to run both, I prefer TAT for my tempatures though.

Back