• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[email protected] on 1.4125 Vcore Fails Orthos in Less than 5 Seconds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mawsoccer

Here Are My Specs:

Asus P5B-Deluxe
Intel Core Duo e6600 L631A
eVGA 7600GT KO 256MB
2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000
Samsung 18X DVDRW Combo
Thermaltake Armor Balck Tower case w/ 25 cm Fan
OCZ GameXtreme 600W PSU

My E6600 is currently running at 3.6 (9 x 400). Temps are in the mid 50s C. Vcore is at 1.4125 in bios. CPUz says its at 1.3 something. Everything seems fine, but ...

IT FAILS ORTHOS EVERY TIME AT 1 SECOND.

It gives a message of:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999998097, expected less than 0.4.

It does the same thing on Prime 95.

WHAT IS WRONG HERE?

It wasn't stable at 1.5 in my bios either.

In the picture I posted, my bios is set at 1.425 vcore.

Does this board have vDroop? Is CPUz's voltage actually correct?

I need 1.5v actual with my rig. Almost every mobo will undervolt to some degree. Might try backing down the FSB a little.

I had my E6600 that did 3.4Ghz with 1.5V and was totally stable (Prime stable). Same chip I could get to 3.5Ghz with same voltage, prime would fail within a second, yet I could play and toss everything at it and still wouldn't crash. This is probably where you are. Needing to up the voltage on different components to get stable. 1 being the CPU, the rest possibly the northbridge, southbridge controllers needing a little love as well.

mawsoccer said:
If I changed any mch or other voltages would it be more stable?

Thats what you have to find out all components oc slightly different adjust voltages one item at a time but i suspect you may need a little more mch. What voltage are you running your memory at.

I have the memory set to auto in the bios, but I think it defaults to 2.2 for DDR2-1000 Speeds. However, at 3.6 ghz I have it set for DDR2-800, so I dont know what it is acutally using.

I have OCZ DDR2-800 i have this running at 2.25 volts it seems to be where it is most stable for me. I'm afraid you will just have to experiment you could try dropping the multi on your processor leave your fsb where it is if you get the same prob with Orthos it could be either your mch or your memory voltages or memory timmings.

change your memory voltage and timings manually to what they are specified at. if you experience a retstart out of nowhere then loosen the timings a tad. I've had similar issues and I've finally got the ball rolling by getting the ram setup correctly, my board volts and just upping the vcore gradually. list what your fsb and mch are at if they are auto you might have to up them a tad.

Currently, I have it stable at 3.4 (9x378).
Vcore = 1.45 (I think)
Ram= DDR2-756 4-4-4-12
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Temps are steady at 60 C

Everything else is on auto except for those two thing that are supposed to be at 33.33 and 101, i have those locked at that, but I don't remember their names.

Any advice as far as mch and other miscellaneous settings to tweak in order to get to 3.6 successfully. I will definatly give your suggestions a try and look more seriously at ocing to 3.6 once I get my silverstone FM121 to put in my tuniq. Hopefully it will lower the temps a bit.

I have my bios vcore set at 1.4125 v.

I have Speedfan, CPUz, Asus PRobe II, and another Asus program open, and all 4 read my vcore at 1.37 and during orthos large ffts it droops even more to 1.34.

Is that reading not accurate? I guess there is some decent vDroop on this board. If these volts are true, does that mean I should keep my vcore under 1.45 after vDroop or before?

mawsoccer said:
I have my bios vcore set at 1.4125 v.

I have Speedfan, CPUz, Asus PRobe II, and another Asus program open, and all 4 read my vcore at 1.37 and during orthos large ffts it droops even more to 1.34.

Is that reading not accurate? I guess there is some decent vDroop on this board. If these volts are true, does that mean I should keep my vcore under 1.45 after vDroop or before?
Just started overclocking my E6600 632A. Although I can run at 3.6G (400 x 9) with BIOS-reported Vcore of 1.51V, decided not clock higher than 3.4G (378 x 9) with BIOS reported Vcore @ 1.41V as Core Temp readings when running ORTHOS go well beyond 60C, the Intel maximum case temperature. May go back to watercooling to resolve that constraint.

In my case with Vcore set at 1.450, BIOS reading is 1.408V. Suggest you use BIOS Vcore readings as the most accurate short of an on-board DMM reading.

Premmer why don't you try a tuniq tower before resorting to that? I'm running my chip at 1.55 vcore in the bios and my temps are 58-59 on load. With your chip at a lower vcore like that I guarantee you won't have to worry about that with a tuniq, but if you got the watercooling I guess why not otherwise get a Tuniq.

dkizzy said:
Premmer why don't you try a tuniq tower before resorting to that? I'm running my chip at 1.55 vcore in the bios and my temps are 58-59 on load. With your chip at a lower vcore like that I guarantee you won't have to worry about that with a tuniq, but if you got the watercooling I guess why not otherwise get a Tuniq.

I really don't want to go back the water and more fan noise.

1. Is the Tuniq Tower 120 that much better than my current Big Typhoon with the standard fan?

2. Do you know of any suppler that has them in stock?

Thanks for your input.

Back