• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply problems for an HP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bondalavin

I have a problem that I was hoping to get some advice, or more to the point a fix. So on to the details:

I have an older HP xw4000 that currently has a 250W PSU. I recently upgraded to the Nvidia 7600GS 512MB AGP video card. It has one of those molex power connectors to provide the extra "push" required to drive the video card. I hook everything up and install the drivers. Now when I login the Nvidia sentinel tells me the card is not getting enough power. So I stroll down to the local shop and pick up a Dynex 400W ATX PSU. I take it home and plug it in and nothing happens. I then spent a few days researching the issue, after taking it to the shop and them testing it and the PSU works fine. During my research I found that the pinouts on a standard ATX PSU do not match up with HP's motherboard pinouts. OMG! Now what. I have been working on this issue for more than a week with no success. Please help if anyone can!!

Now, what I would like to do is get a PSU 24 pin extender cable for the mobo connector and re-wire it appropriately to get it to work. I have the pinout diags for my mobo and a standard atx power supply but I can't figure out what some of them mean (like Fan CMD and others.) I know you guys are da bomb, I have been looking through the threads and there is some really over my head stuff in some of these posts. I await your expert advice!

Bondalavin

Fan CMD would imply a thermally controlled fan can be used. Older HP's were npotorious for using propritary designs. Without pictures and amaybe data-sheet, it is really hard to see what is going on. Another option would be to pull out the exsisting unit and compare it with the Dynex (a bad buy really, a garbage unit that is made by Shenzen Chi Yuan Industrial Co).

When I get home tonight I will get some pics up and the pinouts I have to see if you can help. I appreciate the input on the PSU as well, but unfortunately thats what I am stuck with at this point. This is for a machine I am trying to make work for the next few months and then I am building a new system. It doesn't have to be great it just needs to work for a while.

Thanks!

I have found the pinouts for the xw4000 as follows:

xw4000pinout.JPG

I am sure you have the standard ATX v2 pinouts, but if you need that I found it at http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

If you still want pics, I can post those tonight. The ones I am unsure about are what on the the standard, goes to what on the mobo since HP calls them different things (Fan OFF, Fan CMD, and Fan Sink.) Some are + and some are - and I am sure they go somewhere specific, but I don't want my limited knowledge cause me to pop the mobo.

Last edited:
Okay, I didn't get home till late, but I did have a chance to check the pins with a voltmeter while the PSU was running. All of the pins were the same except:

Pin -- HP's -------- Dynex
8 ---- Fan OFF --- +5V
11 -- +3.3V ------ +12V
12 -- Fan CMD --- +3.3V
23 -- +3.3V ------ +5V
24 -- Fan Sink ---- GND

On the HP, pin 12 carries .02V and pin 24 carries .4V. I assume these 2 wires are used to control or check that a fan (PSU fan maybe) is functioning?? I also assume if they aren't working properly, that the mobo shuts down the PSU. If I can't provide the right current through 12 and 24, it looks like there is no way to make this PSU work in the box without changing the mobo. I also don't know what the Fan OFF does, but IIRC there is one wire missing from a pin on the HP connector. It might be the fan off. I will be building a new system in a few months, but I wanted to get this one up to speed until then.

Any addidtion advice, or anyone know how to resolve this with the PSU I have?

TIA!

Well, I have decided to return the 400W power supply. I found an internal Power supply that is made by Thermaltake that fits in a 5.25 bay and can run dedicated power to 2 PCIe SLI video cards. The only problem now is getting a connector from the PCIe connector to the 4pin molex. That shouldn't be hard. Doing this leaves the existing PSU and adds a second unit just for my video card. If you want to check it out...

http://www.crazypc.com/products/7259.html

Well, upon further research, the PCIe auxillary power supply only has 2 12V rails and my AGP card needs a 12V and a 5V. Now I am stuck once again.

I did find a more expensive version of this auxillary unit that includes PCIe and SATA connectors. I found that the SATA connector has a 12V and a 5V lead. The only issue now is getting a SATA to molex connector or wire to complete the configuration. Does anybody have any other ideas?

Back