• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Tv Wonder 550 $29.99 a/GCO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What does this thing do really? I have a VIVO x1800... what can this do that my VIVO can't? Can't my card record since it's video in / video out?

if your video card is already VIVO compatible, no point really.

mine is compatible but i run windows x64 bit so i can really use it. which annoys me. o well.

darkcow said:
if your video card is already VIVO compatible, no point really.

mine is compatible but i run windows x64 bit so i can really use it. which annoys me. o well.
so all i need is software for my VIVO?? could i record VHS tapes to say mpg or something? i've always wanted to, but have no clue. :D

If i get this, will i also have to get a seperate TV Tuner, or is that what this essencially is?

Godman: If you TV capture/Graphics card has the inputs then yes you can convert VHS to MPEG very easily. I did this myself last year with my Home videos and it all went very well.

Slaps: A TV capture card simply can receive images rather then just project them like a regular graphics card. Because of this you can record whatever images it does receive. A TV Tuner on the other hand goes a bit more in depth and is actually a way to connect something like your Cable or Satellite wire to your computer and use it as a type of receiver with functions like a normal one such as changing the channel.

g0dM@n said:
What does this thing do really? I have a VIVO x1800... what can this do that my VIVO can't? Can't my card record since it's video in / video out?

I has a tv tuner, with a vivo card you can't connect your cable to it and change the channel. It also lets you listen to FM radio but that isn't that much of a big deal.

Dermen said:
These are great for an HTPC. I just ordered two to replace my Hauppauge PVR-150s.

Why? I thought Hauppauge cards were the best for HTPCs since they encode video on the card.

disk11 said:
Why? I thought Hauppauge cards were the best for HTPCs since they encode video on the card.

The 550 is a hardware encoder as well. From the reviews I have read the 550 offers better IQ then the PVRs. Also a VIVO can record but it is software encoding and will take up more space then one done by hardware. TV Wonder 550 review

Last edited:
disk11 said:

Wicked Klown said:
The 550 is a hardware encoder as well. From the reviews I have read the 550 offers better IQ then the PVRs.

The 550 is supposed to have slightly better PQ, but the Linux support is much better for the Hauppauge cards. Also the ATI cards have always been more expensive, but now that ATI released the 650 they lowered the price on the 550.

The reason I am switching though is my new Hauppauge card's PQ is noticably worse than the one I bought a while back. I even RMA'ed it and have the same issue with the new one. I decided to live with it, but when I saw the ATI tuners at this price I couldn't pass it up (I think I'll be able to sell my PVR-150s for more than or close to what I paid for the two ATI 550s). Also if you check out any HTPC forums you will hear about a lot of problems with the Hauppauge cards since they started using Samsung tuners.

This is what I get when I go to the linked page. Must have sold out of them. :(

Currently Unavailable:

Reefa_Madness said:
This is what I get when I go to the linked page. Must have sold out of them. :(

Currently Unavailable:
And these guys just convinced me to take the plunge...

I just need to back up OLD VHS tapes... my father wanted me to do this for him a while back, and I'd no idea why.

Since this is sold out, how would I go about backing up my VHS tapes via the VIVO on my x1800?? Would it be dumb to do that? And what's the big disadvantage? =/

g0dM@n,

Here are some links to help you get started...from simple overviews to more detailed...and in no particular order (sorry).

http://www.techlore.com/article/10268/

http://www.film-to-video.com/tutorial_page02.html

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=813

http://howtodothings.com/computers/a3487-how-to-transfer-vhs-to-dvd.html

http://www.virtualdub.org/

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/314608-0-0-225-121.html

Doing exactly this is why I got started messing with computers...I've had a blast playing and tweaking computers, but never got around to converting a single tape! How's that for irony???

sweet good thread I need to learn how to convert all the bear and the big blue house episodes on my tivo to a dvd for my son to watch. He is 1.2 years old and in love with the bear.

OOOOH wait that seems to be from vhs will the same apply to do it from tivo?????
mike

seems like the item is back in stock.

i'm tempted to grab this...but i don't know how much i'll honestly use it.

though, it would be nice to record episodes of my favorite TV shows directly to my PC. I could easily get aquire alot of Modern Marvel Episodes :p. And would be nice to watch TV on one of thse 20" widescreen monitors. would definetly have better visual quality than my 75 dollar 27" TV in my room.

but honestly, i'd probably use it a few times for the wow factor. Then, i'd get lazy again, like i always do. and it will just do nothing more than fill up a empty PCI slot.

then again....argg....

decisions....decisions...

Question...Is there a way to use one of these cards to play my consoles on my monitor? is there an RF adaptor i could use to convert a standard composite cable? Or is there another card out there that would do this without an RF adaptor? Would be a really really nice step-up from my crappy TV i'm using.

Last edited:
zexmarquies01 said:
Question...Is there a way to use one of these cards to play my consoles on my monitor? is there an RF adaptor i could use to convert a standard composite cable? Or is there another card out there that would do this without an RF adaptor? Would be a really really nice step-up from my crappy TV i'm using.

you can connect your consoles via the composite inputs on the purple break out box thingy that connects to the card. Then you load whatever program it comes with to watch tv and change the displayed input to composite. Basically this card comes with everything you need to connect your consoles to your comuter. Also you can record any input so by extention you can record your games if you want to which is a very nice feature to have. Note this is also how it can be used to rip dvd's or vhs to your hdd so long as it is legal that is... so this is how you would use the card to back up old vhs tapes etc.

I personally got a deal on a tv wonder pro a long time ago but I lost that darn purple box so I think I might just have to pick this up as well.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind picking one up myself, Would love to record some TV on the pc, Question, Will this card work with XP home or is it necessary to have media edition for PVR use?

Back