• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V overclocking/SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AbhorrencE

Hello all,
I'm new here and was directed to this amazing forum because of google.. :p

I first tried to OC my CPU about a year ago but lost all the data on my SATA single drive, then I looked for info about Asus A8V Motherboard (not Deluxe) and found nothing helpful except that OC with SATA drives plugged on the VIA ports is not recommended (on A8V Rev. 1.xx at least).
Now, I want to give it a try again and I've read most posts on this forum. It seems that the A8V Rev. 2.00 is the way to go. I looked at my mobo and it says 'A8V Rev 2.00' but CPU-Z says 'Rev 1.xx' :/
Who's right?
If I really have a Rev 2.00, could you share OC experiences, advices and/or settings that work best for this mobo w/ SATA? :)
Thanks

My system:
A8V Rev 2.00??
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2GB Dual Channel DDR400 PC3200 G.Skill
WD 250 Go SATA Drive

I looked at my mobo and it says 'A8V Rev 2.00' but CPU-Z says 'Rev 1.xx' :/
Who's right?
I have a rev 2.0 Deluxe board and cpuz also shows it as rev 1.x, so I guess cpuz is in error.
I first tried to OC my CPU about a year ago but lost all the data on my SATA single drive
I presume this happened when using the Via sata controller. It is well documented that higher levels of o/c using the via controller leads to HDD corruption.

The alternative is to use the promise controller if you have the Deluxe version and run that in IDE mode.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply :)
Not Deluxe :s
When I first OCed the mobo, the AGP/PCI lock was on 'AUTO' in the BIOS
I didn't knew about that, this is probably why my SATA was corrupted :/

I have the Deluxe model, but I'm sure your board will behave similar. I've discovered, as well as some others, that running your HTT higher than 262mhz or so will degrade performance, which can possibly lead to corruption, though I haven't had any. So avoid going higher than that and lock the PCI/AGP bus at 33.3/66.6 and hopefully you'll have better luck this time around.

Back