• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a 2x1GB set of PC3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I know very little about memory and even less about memory OCing, so bear with me...I read the stickies and it seems like the Patriot XBLs are the way to go. I found em on Froogle for about $150, which is definetly within my budget. This mobo maxes out at 3.0vdimm, so the high voltage offerings aren't really an option. Anything I should know about this memory? Anything else I should consider? I've heard this board can be picky about memory, anything I should know there? Should I consider getting PC3500s instead of PC3200s? Can you get a higher OC with them? Thanks!

mils128 said:
I have an A8N-Sli Deluxe and i have thrown every single piece of RAM in it that i own and it has worked great. As for RAM PC3500 will just be clocked down to PC3200 Speeds on this board so it should do no help to the PC.

I like OCZ so you could try this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210
Nice, that looks like a good price for those sticks. I mentioned the PC3500s cause I'm wondering if they'll OC higher than PC3200s. I'm running at 241x11 right now and my board only seems to allow a /14 divider or a /11 divider, which means if I'm gonna OC my RAM it has to be able to run at 241MHz (I think...like I said, I don't know much about RAM OCing).

[EDIT] I just noticed that you reccomended the OCZ Platinums while the sticky reccomended the Platinum Rev2s. I don't see the Rev2s on Newegg, whats the difference? And how are the different from the Titatiums (other than the heatspreaders)? Also, the Patriot XBLs are quite a bit cheaper, but are reccomended equally as the Platinum Rev2. What does the extra $$ buy? [EDIT]

Last edited:
Check out anything with TCCD mostly :p

Patriot XBLKs are great if you can find them but they are no longer made.

LoneWolf121188 said:
I thought they stopped making TCCD?

Lonewolf,

Are you sure those Patriots XBL you found are 2x1 gb? I think they are 2x512 and WonderingSoul is right, they aren't made anymore and the 2x512 kits are near impossible to find now. They were TCCD. If you can find them (2x512) better get them!

I would kill for a set of Patriot XBL(K) 2 x 1 GB but I don't think they ever made that size!

RollingThunder said:
Lonewolf,

Are you sure those Patriots XBL you found are 2x1 gb? I think they are 2x512 and WonderingSoul is right, they aren't made anymore and the 2x512 kits are near impossible to find now. They were TCCD. If you can find them (2x512) better get them!

I would kill for a set of Patriot XBL(K) 2 x 1 GB but I don't think they ever made that size!
err...hmmm, looks like you're right, the ones I found were indeed the 2x512MB. Looks like the OCZs are the way to go then, but whats the difference between the Platinum and the Rev2s?

[EDIT] I was just looking over the OCZ website and noticed they don't make 2GB kits of the Rev2s. I was going to go for the standard platinums, when I noticed this thread. Looks like they're not using TCCDs or TCC5s and they typically won't clock much above 220 with any timing combination. I was hoping for ~240MHz, unless they're another way I can get ~2650MHz CPU with ~220MHz RAM. Should I look for some PC3500s or PC3700s then? [/EDIT]

Last edited:
LoneWolf121188 said:
err...hmmm, looks like you're right, the ones I found were indeed the 2x512MB. Looks like the OCZs are the way to go then, but whats the difference between the Platinum and the Rev2s?

[EDIT] I was just looking over the OCZ website and noticed they don't make 2GB kits of the Rev2s. I was going to go for the standard platinums, when I noticed this thread. Looks like they're not using TCCDs or TCC5s and they typically won't clock much above 220 with any timing combination. I was hoping for ~240MHz, unless they're another way I can get ~2650MHz CPU with ~220MHz RAM. Should I look for some PC3500s or PC3700s then? [/EDIT]

Wolf,

I don't know the difference with the OCZ, never used them. Best thing to do is use the "compare" feature on NewEgg or check the OCZ site. OCZ has a great reputation.

These guys are good too, very helpful and responsive:

http://www.tankguys.biz/memory-memory-c-46_86.html?osCsid=238d21036f7ba74580d2e59cde4f11e4

TCCD is only available in 512mb sticks and smaller...same basic rule as BH-5 memory. Its too bad you can't get super tight timings and large size together but thems the breaks.

RollingThunder said:
Wolf,

I don't know the difference with the OCZ, never used them. Best thing to do is use the "compare" feature on NewEgg or check the OCZ site. OCZ has a great reputation.

These guys are good too, very helpful and responsive:

http://www.tankguys.biz/memory-memory-c-46_86.html?osCsid=238d21036f7ba74580d2e59cde4f11e4
The only difference I can find is that the Platinums are 2-3-2-5 and go up to 2x1GB while the Rev2s are 2-2-2-5 and only go up to 2x512, which matches exactly what squads said.

As stated above, no TCCD was ever made in 1 gig modules (due to the way the chips are manufactured it was not a possibility).

In my opinion, if you can find a set of either of these...the Mushkin XP4000 Redlines or the OCZ equivalent PC4000 with the Infineon CE-5 chips, then that would be the way to go and still run 1:1 (no memory dividers).

These are recent sales in our Classifieds.

The Mushkin:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=494063

The OCZ:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=494018

Ram with these chips will do 250 with 3-3-2-8 (1T),or perhaps even tighter timings at 240.

Another option would be some ram with Samsun UCCC chips, however, these generally run with slightly looser timings (3-4-4-8 are the rated timings, although some will run 3-3-3-8 at under 250).

GSkills with these Samsung chips:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=494586

You last option is those sticks linked in post #2 above, however, based on the rated timings those are most likely using Infineon BE-5 chips, which will run tighter timings, but with limited headroom. They are most likely to top around 225-230, although some better ones will break 240. You will most likely have to use your memory dividers with these modules to hit 240+ with your cpu, but you will be able to do it with tight (2-3-2-5) timings.

The advantage of the OCZ's linked above in post #2 is that you can get them now, whereas the others might require some digging to find.

Edit:

One more choice...Team PC4000 with Micron chips from Tankguys for $220, plus shipping. Only concern is whether they are trouble prone, like so many of the Ballistix were.

http://www.tankguys.biz/team-xtreem....html?osCsid=238d21036f7ba74580d2e59cde4f11e4

Last edited:
My Team Xtreme from Tank Guys seem to be no longer carried. They are the DDR500 Cronus Infineon CE-6. They max out at 255 3/3/2/8. Have had mine 8 months but had no issues with them. Just wish they could overclock more. i once had corsair valueram 512mb sticks, 4 of them and they overclocked like this:

stick 1 238 mhz
stick 2 232 mhz
stick 3 223 mhz
stick 4 221 mhz
all at 2.5/3/3/8
But that was 2 years ago

The only thing I can offer here is that OCZ has killer customer service. If their product does not perform as advertised they will make it right! Best RMA (on my Powerstream 520) that I have ever had to deal with.

Likewise, I can attest to the customer service from OCZ...the word "excellent" comes to mind.

Thanks for all of the info, guys, Reefa_Madness especially. I'm gonna look around on ebay to see what I can find. If that fails, I'll probably spring for the OCZ PC3700 set, unless someone thinks I should really spend the extra cash on a PC4000 set.

Concentrate on the chips. This will translate into clocks and timings. It doesn't matter what they are rated at, as long as they are capable of hitting the clocks you want with timings acceptable to your needs.

If you buy sticks that are rated as PC3700, but in fact these are made with chips that are actually overclocked DDR400 rated stuff, then you may not hit the 240+ that you are looking for since these sticks are already overclocked to begin with. The Infineon BE-5 would fall into this category. While these would hold tight timings, they will most likely require the use of dividers in orde to hit the 240+ clocks. I'm not saying not to do that, just be sure that you understand this going in.

Reefa_Madness said:
Concentrate on the chips. This will translate into clocks and timings. It doesn't matter what they are rated at, as long as they are capable of hitting the clocks you want with timings acceptable to your needs.

If you buy sticks that are rated as PC3700, but in fact these are made with chips that are actually overclocked DDR400 rated stuff, then you may not hit the 240+ that you are looking for since these sticks are already overclocked to begin with. The Infineon BE-5 would fall into this category. While these would hold tight timings, they will most likely require the use of dividers in orde to hit the 240+ clocks. I'm not saying not to do that, just be sure that you understand this going in.

Reefa,

In one instance that I know of personally reinforces what you say. My spare set of Kingston HyperX are PC3200. I have seen the same pair labeled PC3500 and what you can see of the part numbers exposed under the heat spreaders read the same as mine. Removing the heat spreaders to satisfy curiosity is not an option. They are fastened very well.

Back