• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

19" Samsung SM-940BW vs 19" BenQ FP93GX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grayg

Edit: there are 2 versions of the Samsung I think, this is the better 4ms one

My CRT is dying so I need to be looking for something new so time to step up to LCD erra.

These seem to be good in my price range any other suggestions welcome just make sure it costs the same as these.

I play games a lot and have heard widescreen lcd's for pc are cool but the lack of developer support for widscreen resolutions worry me. The BenQ is apparantly a beast in gaming but to be put blunty a big underperformer everywhere because it has a 6bit colour panel? Would it bother me that much? What does the Samsung have, 6 or 8 bit?

Do I have a right to worry about widscreen resolutions?
On contrast I plan on getting a PS3 and supposedly the Samsung is HDCP compliant so thats a big plus I guess (could save me on buying a big HDTV).
I do not watch movies on my PC only stuff like game clips and other low quality streaming.

I won't accept ghosting either as my main enjoyment from my pc is playing games, are they both 100% suitable for it?

I have looked through warranties but they confuse me :bang head Something which has always put me off LCD's are dead pixels, if I buy one and it has just a single dead pixel on arrival will I be able to demand for a new one? (I find the idea of tiny dot constantly on a screen annoying)
I know BenQ doesn't have a policy on just single dead pixels developing warranting a return (after the 15 day peroid) and that there has to be so many dead pixels in a certain area to warrant it. What is Samsungs policy on dead pixels? Which one overall do you feel has the better warranty?

As you can see I am torn between the two right now, I have no idea if I truely want widescreen or not, no idea whether one is truely undisputably better etc.

I know I should go and see them in real life first but this country is a pain in the *** (England) and shops often don't have much variety and certainly don't sell as many different things as the online sites. PC World is basically the only place and that too doesnt have much going for it either.

Like I said as well any other suggestions welcome.

I have a fp93g-x and i bought it thinking I would be able to game with it (because of the insanely low grey to grey response time), and you really can't.

If you are a die hard CRT user you will notice blur on any lcd monitor that you use. I couldn't stand the blur on the FP93g-x so it sits on my desk as my secondary for reading IRC and AIM. The colors are off, like you said, so small things are noticable. Yellow isn't a perfect yellow, some dark browns appear black or mixed like a blue. All in all it's an alright monitor, but I wish I had bought something else.

Well I have gone with the Samsung 940BW should be with me tomorrow

As far as colours go I guess anything can be better than my half dead current CRT, things are blurred, I can notice the square pixels all over it when desktop browsing and when playing games can see what I can only describe as curved stress lines coming from the sides. I haven't over Hz it either like it is just really old like 6-7 yrs old.

One things for sure anyway they don't make things will build quality like the old days thats for sure :(

*prays for no dead pixels*

Just got my Chimei cmv 221D today (22" widescreen LCD, was $300 from newegg with free shipping). It's very nice!!! The color are great it's very bright, and the geometry is perfect. Plus all text is clear and it has a great viewing angle. The blacklight bleed on a black page isnt bad at all either, not even close to like the benq fp93g-x.

I've gamed with this new one too and it has a slight blur at high speeds, but its much better than the other. I really like it and the colors are great. I hope your choice works out for you too.

I to was a die hard CRT gamer. I returned a 2005fpw back in the day because I couldn't stand the blur. When I moved to college and didn't have room for a CRT I was forced to get an LCD and got a Samsung 204B. At first I was angry at the blurring but after about 1 week I got used to it and love the 1600x1200 native res. So basically what I'm saying is just give yourself time to get used to it.

Well still waiting should be here in the next few hours me thinks, I just went with the Samsung because it seemed like a better deal with HDCP support and I also looked properly through the warranties and it looks like BenQ skimps a little on it. Not everything in the monitor is covered for the those 3 years but with Samsung it seems all to be covered for 3 years e.g. BenQ backlight = 6 months, Samsung backlight = 3 years. Also after looking through the pics and seeing what an advantage to your view a widescreen can give you I was sold.

I also managed to point out a fault with a double listing with wrong specs on the website and it resulted in the product price being lowered a bit so it's all good XD

Hopefully I won't cry (well I really needed a new screen because the crt is on its last leg) because all I could think about was that for what I have paid for the monitor I could have gotten a core2duo E6300 + motherboard >_<

*hates the world* give money please :p

i have the 940bw(4ms) and play COD2 @ 1440 x 900 and there is zero blurrrr :beer: i moved from a 19 CRT and i tel ya what. you do get use to that wiescreen baby

Well seems good so far (only played rainbow six vegas), desktop seems a step up from the stock, it's like the nvidia digital vibrance has been enabled but it hasn't at all. Black seems very good, look like REAL black and white can seem like it has a very slight cream to it, though you quickly get used to it and looks like normal white. Maybe I can tweak it haven't played with the settings much.

Thank god no dead/stuck pixels right now, not going to tempt fate though will see how the next week or 2 goes as that is when they can develop.

Overall happy right now which I am glad to say obviously, I just had my doubts at first.

Back