• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suicidal Acer RC 900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woutervdb

Registered
hi,

A year or two ago I bought me an Acer RC 900, wanting to use it for video editing. From the purchase on my PC sometimes kills itself and then reboots again... it just dies, like if you would pull the plug. Just a sec before this happens I can hear the cooler giving extra.
This happens anytime without any showable reason, when editing, recording, playing, but also when simply browsing. I got myself a UPC device, thinking it would be because of unstable electricity net but it did not help. I send the PC back to Acer a couple of times only to in the end receive a letter stating according to Acer the problem does not exist and no warranty will be given for future returns of this product with these complaints...

I have tested and changed almost every piece of hardware because I found it could only be a hardware corruption. The problem was still there. Personally, I blame the arcade hardware.

I did a full format and reinstall, deleting the Acer Arcade partition. The hardware of that arcade stuff could not be unplugged since the power button then also stops working. This seamed to have solved the problem, yet only for a short while... I've paid more than 1600 dollar for the POS... that hurts :mad:

I don't expect miracle solutions, but would like to know if I am the only one with this kind of problem or if there are others having the same S***.
Miracle solutions, however, are very welcome ;)

it sounds like your PC is overheating, try blowing the dust off the heat sink and the video card with a can of air (wal-mart is cheapest) then run the machine with the side panel off, if this works you will need to increase airflow in the computer by installing more or faster fans in front and rear, another thing that might be causing this is a bad power supply or bad memory

its not the power nor the fans, i replaced those alreaddy. But I will check up on the cooling paste and heatsinck.

I might have found the problem issue.
I've disabled the fron usb by pulling it out from the mobo. The PC did not die on me in the last couple of days; But... the onboard wireless keyboard + mouse doesn't work anymore. Since the software also got an upgrade in the form of tweeking and adding programs I figured downing drivers from Acer could help me out, but it doesn't. maybe the receivers are also on the front usb?

Anyone?

Back