• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with upgrade!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

night8jim

Hey guys i not been very active for a while so not sure on how things are these days, my current system is fine realy, just fancy a upgrade lol, specs in sig,

i want a upgrade but not sure where 2 start, i have not really kept up2 date with the new stuff for about 1 yr i think, i am planning on getting a 19" to 21" monitor soon, so graphics will be the main upgrade, what would u guys say i should change, money no realy object yet i cant afford the top top stuff.

i was thinking about a 880GTS that sort of price range for that.

thx

Well my advice would be to get an E6600, maybe better if you want, but the E6600 is a higher midrange CPU to get.

For a mobo there are tons of choices, I went with the Asus P5B deluxe and it's a good board, but there are better for money.

RAM...I don't like to spend much on RAM because the money is usualy spent bette rin otherplaces so I'd get get 2gb of DDR2 800.

Your PSU should be fine....HDD's possibly upgrade to seagate 7200.10 perp drives and RAID em.

I'd say E6600, good air cooler for it (Thermalright Ultra-120 or Tuniq Tower120, etc), I'd say maybe go with a 680i board just to give you SLI possibility in the future. 2GB of any reasonable priced DDR2-800 would be fine for the E6600. You don't need killer RAM for it because it has a decent multiplier and can OC pretty high without overdoing the FSB.

Couple Seagate 7200.10's or Hitachi 7K500's in RAID0 is a good deal. Unless you wanted to go raptor. Then I'd say get a coupe 74GB 16MBcache raptors and then get a decent sized drive for backup.
Soundcards are always good too if you game or listen to music regularly from the PC.
Oh and your PSU should be fine for the new build.

ok guys cheers for the help, so i guess u think i need to upgrade the whole system?, the CPU is actually reaaly gd and copes fine, just the prob that it old now :(, and means i cant upgrade memory cus i not willing to spend money on 2GB when it out of date, sothats going to be thest bet, i dont want to upgrade for a while after so would like a pretty gd system, any ideas of GFX u think the 880 GTS is worth the money?

thxc

the 8800GTS is a pretty good deal. It's DX10 capable, and also performs well for the high price (Your paying a small premium, but it's really a small premium compared to the performance gains over other cards that are 100 less)

Back