• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Hard Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Okay I recently bought a dell c400 laptop of Ebay.

With no floppy and no Optical drive I had to do a network install. Well I finally figured out how to do a network install of XP without using RIS, and I am having chkdsk errors every reboot. As well as some windows issues like All Programs not bringing up anything, and a HTML error when I tried to open control panel. (It only happened once though)

I just booted up in DOS and ran spinrite, and it warned me that the "SMART" reported the hard drive at imminent failure! (Although the SMART data only showed one thing I did not recognize out of spec... )

Anyway, obviously one thinks, okay its the hard drive right?

My question is, before I got windows installed I was running Ubuntu with no problems what so ever.

So..

Does Linux have no built in disk checking utilities so it did not know there was a problem??

Or is it something more simple like having used that wierd File System that the FAT partition didnt "take"

One last question

Is there a way I can format the HDD in native 4K NTFS from DOS, so that I can do the network install of XP? The only setup option was for convert FAT to NTFS, which to me is a big no no.

TIA

Another question. I am doing a low level format now to see if I can salvage the drive.

But if it is damaged, I was checking dell website to see what optional HDD types there are. All 5 are 4200rpm.

How can I tell what the max supported HDD is> I upgraded to A12 bios, and am not worried about getting a 100GB Hdd, something around 40 will be more then enough for me. But can i get a 5400 or even a 7200rpm 2.5" hdd and it will work?

Thanks

As long as you get a drive the that physically fits into the laptop and has the standard laptop IDE connector, it should work no matter what the RPM.

Sweet, I may upgrade it anyway.

Ran a couple of LL formats 2 Scandisk surface tests and then convert converted to NTFS, and I have not had one problem.

Got windows reinstalled lickety split :)

Back