• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 8500 - BOX vs OEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First off, make sure the box says "Built by ATI". The boxed one is clocked at 275/275 and the oem or Radeon8500LE is clocked at 250/250, other than that, they are identical.

Thanks. I bought OEM version, the 25Mhz difference is very noticeable?

and compared with geforce 3, its best or worst than geforce 3 ti200?

Thanks
Tom

Murgen said:
Check out Rage 3d's forums, for info on flashing the oem to retail.

basically the difference betweent the oem and the retail is an older bios version which tells the card to take different voltages.. the hardware in the card is identical so wiht the flash of the bios the voltages are raised and viola you have yourself a retail 275/275 (also very ocable) 8500 for a lot cheaper

I'll tell you one HUGE reason not to buy a ODM card, Read this:

Q11: Will ATI Retail drivers work with my Partner Product?

No. ATI Retail drivers are designed for products “Built by ATI” only. Reference drivers are available for “Powered by ATI” partner products for download.

Now I know ATI sucks the big kahoona in the driver dept, and I for one dont want to wait for the ODM's to produce future drivers if they ever do.......

Last edited:
Back